23. Enemy Territory

Hunter sat on the bed, his fingers gently raking through Riley's hair as she rested her head on his chest.

An hour had already gone by but she still hadn't yet opened her eyes. He planned to watch over her for as long as possible. He couldn't believe what would've happened had he not arrived on time.

She belonged only to him and no one had the right to take her away. He planned to always make sure of that.

He couldn't stop thinking about how Troy had single handedly killed six of his packmates.

Not wanting to leave Riley's side, he had left everything to Nico and Cage.

They still planned to head to Vane's castle but first, he wanted to make sure she was alright.

When a soft groan finally escaped her lips, he looked down at her and knew she was awake.

The moment her eyes opened, his gaze was so intimidating that she gulped.

"Why did you go out there alone? Do you want me to punish you?"

She sighed. "I'm not a baby."

"Do you want me to punish you?" He whispered, clenching his jaw this time.

She instantly looked away and his lips curved into a smile. He was glad she was awake.

As she snuggled more in his chest, she spoke with pride. "While I was in the woods, I managed to shift ."

"I know." He nodded, equally proud. "Do you remember passing out?"

"Yes, I remember everything going dark. What happened after that? How did you find me? When did you even get back?"

"Had I not been there, Troy would've taken you to Vane. He already had you on his shoulder. He touched your naked body." He growled, his possessiveness taking over.

"Hey, calm down." She gently touched the side of his face.

"You should've seen what I did to him before Nico and Cage ripped him to pieces."

"Literally?"

"Of course."

"I didn't mean to go out there all alone. I just thought that the only reason you didn't want me out there was because I couldn't shift, so I thought I could practice. I just want to be part of this."

"Once everything's in place, you'll definitely be part of this."

She raised her eyebrows at him. "But I just told you that I managed to shift."

"It doesn't matter. For now, I need security around you, especially when I'm not here. Cage is your new bodyguard."

"Really?" She excitedly sat up more.

"You seem a little too excited." He suspiciously narrowed his eyes at her.

"Cage's the best person to be my bodyguard. How could I not be excited?"

"Fine, I'll be your bodyguard." He was playfully jealous.

She wrapped her arms around him and kissed his neck. Her touch was already electrifying but just then, Nico reached out to him. It was time to leave.

Hunter even thought he could just pull down Riley's underwear and fuck her quickly, but he knew how long they usually lasted and he'd end up not leaving at all.

It was for this reason that he held onto the sides of her face to make her stop kissing his neck, which was difficult because he loved it.

"I know I just said Cage is your new bodyguard but he won't start right away. The three of us are going to Vane's castle right now."