16. Marcellina

Vane swung the heavy black doors open, revealing his large and rectangular dining room, lit by the candles from the iron chandeliers that hung from the high ceiling.

"I believe you have some good news for me," he said, looking over at Troy, who stood by the wall that was paneled in dark wood.

"Yes, I have some pictures of Riley," Troy said, taking them out from his jacket.

With a sinister smirk, Vane approached the center of the room which had a long dining table.

When he gestured to Troy that he wanted to take a seat, Troy came over and pulled out one of the high-backed chairs that was covered in black velvet.

Once he was seated, he leaned back and held out his hand, gesturing to Troy to hand him the pictures.

As soon as he received them, he tilted his head with another smirk.

"Well, isn't she just breathtaking?"

"I took the pictures myself."

"Impressive," he said, checking through all of them.

"Thank you. I can take more if you want."

"There'll be no need. Everything I needed to see is right in these pictures."

He put down his favorite picture of her right on the perfectly polished surface of the table, sliding the rest to the other side.

Stroking his chin, he didn't want to waste more time.

"I must make my move tonight."

"We'll go with you."

"Usually, I would have you accompany me, but there'll be no need. The one time where I have what I need, I'd like to do this myself."

Just then, he picked up Candy's scent from the hallway and it seemed she was heading to the dining room, but not even that could make him stop looking at Riley's picture.

"At last," he said, his eyes glued to the picture.

Even when Candy pushed the doors open, not once did he take his eyes off of Riley.

"There you are," Candy said as she approached him.

"Whatever this is about, not now. I'm busy."

"You're busy?" she scoffed, looking down at the pictures. "Why do you keep doing this to me? It's one Luna after another."

"I'm glad to inform you that it'll no longer be the case because she's the one I've been looking for."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better? Please stop d-"

"Shut up," he said, his tone calm but threatening. "I'll remind you that you were aware of this before you offered yourself to me. Because you were obsessed with becoming my woman, you must deal with everything that comes with it."

When she burst into tears and rushed out, he rose to his feet, but it wasn't because he wanted to go after her.

He approached the tall and narrow windows, draped in heavy velvet curtains that blocked out the morning sunlight.

"I can sense that you have something on your mind, so speak," he said to Troy.

"I know this is the moment you've been waiting for, but what if Marcellina-"

"She'll do nothing and you know it."

"But she's warned you before."

"And yet, here I am, ready to strike tonight."

~

As Riley and Hunter walked hand in hand down the stairs that morning, she could sense that everyone around was holding back a certain reaction and it seemed they were trying not to smile.