Stuck Up

As Bad suspected, no one was really interested in the library. But that didn't stop him from going there the next day during a free period.

It was a small setup compared to his school's library but it was impressive considering they were in the middle of the woods, in a summer camp.

Bad browsed the books until he bumped into another person. "Oh, sorry."

"No worries." A hand reached past him and pulled out a book about demonic possession. It was shocking a book like that was there at all.

The library was set up by volunteers that thought books were boring hunks of sophisticated words. No English teacher would want kids in the middle of the woods reading about demonic ritual and possession.

Bad tried to leech onto this guy, because he too was using free time for books. "My name is Bad, yes my parents hate me. Have we met?"

The guy looked up at him, as if he were either offended or shocked that Bad acknowledged him. "N-no, I'm Cellbit." The guy bowed his head like he had no idea what normal people might do.

"Oh hey, my cabin mate mentioned you– I mean...he's your..." Bad couldn't even say it. Even talking about boyfriends made him feel wrong.

"Roier?" The man said the name with a Brazilian accent, and an even bigger accent of adoration. "Don't let him drive you crazy."

"He's a little silly." Bad admitted and looked at the book in Cellbit's hand. "Paranormal, eh?"

Cellbit nodded with eyes open just a little too wide. Like he didn't know if he liked Bad yet. Or even if he could trust him.

"That kind of stuff freaks me out." Bad shivered.

"Then...why are you in this section?"

Bad shrugged. "My friend Tina likes to read freaky books to make her look tough. She gets so scared but won't admit it...I just wanted to see if there is as anything here to make her look tough. She's hoping to get a gi–boyfriend by the end of summer."

"Ah." Cellbit nodded. "Tell her to hold anything by Stephen King. Everyone has seen the movies but she'll look edgy for reading the books too."

"I'll tell her that." Bad watched Cellbit turn and leave. He walked quickly, and disappeared. Bad has no idea where he went to read. And he was a little disappointed.

Bad ended up taking a copy of 'Little Fires Everywhere' by Celeste Ng. When he went to find a spot to sit he was surprised to see another person there. Not just a person, a cabin mate.

"Hey, Skeppy." Bad sat down next to him.

Skeppy acknowledged him with a 'mn'.

"You look tired, did Roier's snoring keep you to too?" Bad had come up with 26 different ways to suffocate Roier in his sleep. But he would only fantasize about them at night when Roier was snoring.

"It was obnoxious but no, I wouldn't have slept anyway." Skeppy rested his chin in his hand. His elbow rested on the table.

"Everything okay?"

"Not feelin' well." Skeppy looked at the book Bad had placed on the table. "You know, this is an opportunity to get experience doing other things that aren't...reading."

"This is such a cozy place to read though." Bad frowned. "Do you not like to read?"

"I don't really read outside of novel studies." Skeppy blinked slowly and closed his eyes.

Bad opened his book. "Have you been to the nurse's office?"

"I'm okay." Skeppy said quickly.

Bad figured it could be home sickness. He himself was already missing home.