Chapter 9

Summary: Emma gets her first period and other Slytherin girls help her. She meets Myrtle. A student is taken to the Chamber.

The atmosphere at Hogwarts has been pretty bad lately. Of course, with the students still petrified, Dumbledore having been sent away and Hagrid imprisoned, anyone would be tense in a situation like this. At least Carina and I had a moment of fun during this time, when we got soaked in vinegar while trying to get into the Hufflepuff common room to spend a Saturday afternoon with Stella and Aster.

Unlike other days, I feel something strange when I wake up. A sharp pain in my stomach. I think it might go away, but the pain doesn't go away or even diminish over the course of the day. One of my roommates, Cassia, notices my discomfort and even asks me about it.

"Are you all right?" Cassia asks worriedly during lunch.

Her question attracts the attention of the other people sitting near us at the Slytherin table.

"Ever since I woke up I've been feeling this pain..." I say, with my hand pressed against my stomach right where it hurts.

"Could it be something you ate or drank?" says Theodore. 

"Maybe..." I say. "But I haven't eaten anything di..."

Pansy interrupts me. "Ah, I think I know what it might be."

Everyone paying attention to the conversation turns to her. Cassia and Megan also seem to have come to the same conclusion.

"If it's that, I think you should go to the hospital wing, you know. Ask Madam Pomfrey for supplies." says Cassia, for some reason her face blushing as she talks about it.

"What's 'that'?" Draco asks curiously.

"It's none of your business, Draco." I hear Pansy reply rudely to Draco for the first time.

Draco seems surprised by Pansy's response.

"Haven't you noticed anything different today, Emma?" Megan asked, before speaking in a lower tone of voice, so that Draco and Theodore wouldn't hear us. "No blood...?"

Draco (not so discreetly) moves his head closer to us girls, trying to hear the rest of the conversation, nosy as ever. I forget the pain for a moment when I see Melia slap the back of Draco's head and say, "Stop being nosy, cousin!"

This makes him move away, but he still tries to listen to the conversation from further away.

"Your mum never talked to you about..." Pansy starts to say, but Zoe interrupts her, "Her mom's dead, you stupid girl!"

Instead of retorting Zoe, I see Pansy with a genuine expression of guilt for having mentioned my mum.

"Right, I forgot, I'm sorry." Pansy says.

And that's how four first year girls (Cassia, Zoe, Megan and Melia) and two second year girls (Daphne Greengrass and Pansy) explain to me what it's like to menstruate. Obviously my aunt never bothered to have this conversation with me, why would she? And in the end my friends were right. Just before dinner I feel something wet between my legs, it feels like I've peed myself. I end up skipping dinner to go to the hospital wing to ask Madam Pomfrey for pads (which I discover are magical, very different from the ones that muggles have) and go to the bathroom.

Hormones (something Madam Pomfrey herself explained to me) probably make me cry in one of the bathroom stalls. I cry because I don't have a mum who could help me in this kind of situation, I cry because I miss my mum who I barely remember, I cry because I'm jealous that my brother was able to spend more time with our parents, even if it was just a year longer.