Chapter 6

Summary: The first Quidditch match of the year between Slytherin and Gryffindor takes place. Emma tries to comfort Draco. The Duelling Club takes place.

The day arrives for Slytherin's first Quidditch match against Gryffindor. Should I feel bad that I'm rooting against my brother? I know that he's Gryffindor's seeker and that Draco, his biggest enemy at school, is the rival team's seeker, but I'm used to being Slytherin now and I really want my House to win the match.

I wish my brother good luck this morning, but I am internally rooting for Draco to win. I don't feel bad, I'm sure that if it were the other way round Harry wouldn't be rooting for me either. Besides, this rivalry between the two of us is fun.

When I said I was going to root for Slytherin, I didn't want a bludger to chase my brother! And then Gryffindor won... And my brother got a broken arm. I spend most of my time keeping Harry company in the hospital wing, having to listen to taunts from Fred, George and Ron with a frown.

I leave the hospital wing at dinner time and the next day I and the entire Slytherin common room are woken up early by Professor Snape making the announcement that a Gryffindor boy from my year, Colin Creevey, was petrified during the night. I know that the Slytherins are pretending not to be alarmed by the situation, and as much as it won't affect the majority of the students in our house (since the vast majority are purebloods and half-bloods), I can still see the tense atmosphere after Snape's warning.

December comes and Christmas is approaching. I'm sitting at the Slytherin table in the Great Hall next to Draco, when I see him reading a letter he's received, looking sad.

"Is something wrong?" I ask, noticing his frown.

He sighs, trying to mask his emotions in front of the others.

"Mum doesn't want me to come home for Christmas." he replies, throwing the letter on the table.

"I'm sure it's not that she doesn't want you and your sister to spend Christmas at home?" I say, trying to make him understand his mother's side of the story, even though I don't know why she doesn't want her children to spend the Christmas holidays there.

"Whatever." I notice a few tears forming in his eyes, before he blinks several times to wipe them away.

I exchange glances with Theodore, who is sitting in front of us. He just shrugs his shoulders, not knowing what to do.

"If it's any consolation," I start to say. "I'll be spending Christmas here too."

He remains silent. A few seconds pass before I see Draco hesitantly open the box his mum sent, probably full of sweets as usual. It smells delicious, and I think Draco realises I've noticed, because he immediately pushes the box towards me.

"I'm not hungry." he says quietly. "You can eat if you want."

"Draco, I know I had one the other time, but your mum made it especially for you, I can't accept it..." I start to say, but he stops me.

"She won't mind." he says. "Besides, I told her you loved the cake you had last time. She was very happy to know this."

I then hesitantly reach out and take a cake from the box his mum sent. It's just as delicious as the other one.

"I wish I had a relative who did that, you know." I say, referring to the sweets that Draco's mother, "Aunt Cissa" (according to Theodore), sends.

"Don't you have any close relatives outside Hogwarts?" Draco asks, his tone showing a certain pity.