Chapter 1

Summary: Emma is sorted into Slytherin. She has a talk with her brother the day after her sorting. Draco and Emma talk.

I stop breathing for a moment and it seems that the whole hall does too. I look at Ginny, whose mouth is hanging open, speechless. The other Weasleys seem to have the same reaction. Just as everyone seems to recover from the shock of a Potter being sorted into Slytherin, I hear the Slytherin table vibrate in celebration. I get up and walk over.

"We got the other Potter!" I hear some Slytherins say.

Surprisingly, the first person to greet me is none other than Malfoy junior, Draco. He holds out his hand to me, no longer with that look of superiority he had in Diagon Alley.

"Welcome to Slytherin, Potter." he says, with a mischievous smile. "I so wanted to see your brother's face right now..."

I shake his hand. I greet a few other people at the table until I sit next to the girl I recognise as Megan Avery, the first to be sorted.

When I glance over at the teachers' table, I soon see a teacher I recognise from Harry's stories, Severus Snape. He was apparently already looking at me, but for a second I wonder if my brother hasn't lied at any point about the stories, since the professor doesn't seem to be looking at me with disdain or anything like that. Perhaps it's the fact that I'm in Slytherin.

"Weasley, Ginevra!" I hear the teacher calling.

Everyone falls silent again. Ginny climbs the steps and sits down. In a few seconds the hat decides. "GRYFFINDOR!"

I hear the Gryffindor table stand up and applaud. I'm upset that we aren't together.

I don't have time to ask for Harry or go after him, as the Slytherin prefects are already leading us down the path to the common room after dinner.

I meet all the girls I share a room with: Megan Avery, Melia Rosier (who is apparently a distant cousin of Draco and Carina), Cassia Flint and Zoe Accrington.

Given everything Harry has told me about Slytherin, I hesitantly introduce myself to my roommates, expecting them to judge me and be prejudiced against me because I'm a half-blood, which surprisingly they don't. I find out that Megan and Melia come from two of the oldest wizarding families in the UK. Melia's father, Evan Rosier, was killed in the First Wizarding War. Cassia Flint, despite her family being part of what I discover is the Sacred Twenty-Eight, wasn't brought up in a supremacist environment as much as the other two. Zoe is the one I identify with the most, as she is also half-blood. Besides, she has a slight accent, and when we ask her about it, she tells us that her mother is American, and that she spent part of her childhood in the United States, and that technically she could have been at Ilvermorny, the magic school there.

I go to bed earlier than the others, because they end up writing letters to their families, and as I don't have anyone to write to, I end up going to bed earlier.

I wake up early to go down to the Great Hall and have time to talk to Harry about yesterday. As soon as I change out of my pyjamas and into my school uniform, I'm about to leave, when I see that one of my roommates has woken up too. 

"Are you going to the Great Hall?" Zoe asks.

"Yes, do you want me to wait for you to get ready?" I say.

And then I wait for Zoe to quickly get ready so we can go together. 

When we get there, I'm relieved to see that Harry is already sitting at the Gryffindor table with Ron and Hermione. I turn to Zoe. "Go and get us a seat at the table, I need to have a word with my brother." I see her nod and then walk away towards the Slytherin table.