Chapter 12: Who is she?

Zwei was sitting in his office looking through documents related to the military. At the side was his secretary, Oliver, and butler, Peter,  helping him organize the paperwork he had left untouched while out on the mission given to him by the king. Zwei had expected more paperwork, but there was less than normal. Zwei quickly brushed the thought to the side. There was a more pressing matter he needed to focus on than the depleted paperwork. A knock at the door caught Peter's attention.

Peter places the paperwork in his hand away and opens the door. Jarold stood at the door with a yawn, now dressed in his casual outfit. Peter greets him with a bow before proceeding to close the door behind him. Zwei stamps one of the paperwork in his hand as Jarold approaches him with a file in his hand.

"This was all I could find on her," said Jarold, "I believe Viola would have been able to collect more than this since it's her specialty."

"She's busy enough looking after the mansion with Peter," said Zwei as he stamped another paper, "I can't add more to her plate."

"But you can add more to mine?" Jarold somewhat grumbles out.

"If you have time to sleep during drill practice, you have time to do other things."

"Can't argue with that..." said Jarold with a sigh.

Zwei stamps another piece of paper before taking the file from Jarold's hand. He opened the file and found only one piece of paper. 

"Illegitimate daughter of Drew Spheral, raised in the home as a sheltered daughter, mother unknown, education unknown, has not made any debate, first time active in society is during her marriage to Duke Sigma..." Zwei places the paper down, "It's not even a page full."

"As I said, there's not much about her," said Jarold, "Even when I insert myself to talk to their employees no one seems to know she even existed until your marriage."

"Perhaps a hidden love child?" said Oliver.

"Then there should be more information about her," said Jarold as he rubbed the back of his head, "But it's as if she never existed or-"

"Someone got rid of any information regarding her," said Zwei, "...She might not even be the daughter of the Spheral House."

"Then the Spheral House has deceived the crown," Peter adds in, "Would they be that careless?"

"Or is this a bait to lure my lord into a trap?" said Oliver.

"Or it's as I've gathered," said Jarold as he sat down on the couch in front of Zwei's office desk, "Sometimes the answers are just there, and we might be just overthinking it. How about asking her directly, Zwei?"

Zwei set down his pen with a sigh while rubbing his brows, "Peter, you've been working with her while I was away, what's your take?"

"...May I be honest, my lord?"

"I will allow it."

"Duchess Sigma doesn't seem like someone without education. She's the one who's been handling all of the documents and official forms without my or Miss Viola's help."

Zwei glances at the once piled-up documents. There were towers of long overtime work, but now it was reduced to no more than just two towers of paperwork.

"Also, I haven't found any suspicious behavior from her," Peter reported, "If anything, she is the most perfect duchess I've ever worked with."

"That's a lot, especially coming from you, Peter," said Jarold, "You remind me of Viola when she was praising her."

"Excuse me for interrupting, but it is time to attend the party Countess Vergrumble had invited you to, my lord," said Oliver.

"Is it that time already?"