Chapter 9: It's a bully scene

Countess Vergrumble's party went on normally. I was expecting some humiliation prank. Yet here I am, getting swarmed by nobles from all over the place trying to gain some connection with the Sigma Ducal House. My strict upbringing taught me how to respond to situations like this. But, staying out here talking to all of them is taking a toll on me physically and mentally. I found the right moment to stop the conversation and excuse myself to rest in the lady's powder room located upstair. One of Countess Vergrumble's maids showed me the way. Thankfully, there was no one there. I sat down with a sigh and removed the high heels from my sore ankle.

"It's been a while since I've been to this kind of party..." If I recall correctly.

Not even a moment later, I could hear some ladies gossiping nearby. 

"...Right ...Guide... Failure..."

"Husband... Sigma... Embarrassment."

I could vaguely hear them, but I could tell they were talking about me. I place my shoes back before the ladies enter the room. They gasped as their eyes met mine. Seems like they were the type that would gossip behind other's backs but couldn't afford to do it face to face. They gave me a greeting with a flustering red expression.

I stood up slowly from the couch, "Enjoy."

I left the room not noticing the scared expression they were wearing. It's hard to find a quiet place to rest. My ankle was red from the tightness of the new heel. Even the bottom of my heel was burning. Five haven't worn heels like this before so it's not surprising that her body wasn't used to it.

I decided to return to the first floor to find some kind of place to sit down and enjoy the refreshments provided by the host. Just as I was about to reach the first floor, there was a scene being unfolded before me. A cute-looking girl with short peach curly hair was on the floor of the ballroom wearing a bow decorated covered in wine. In front of her was a group of girls giggling with their fans covering their lips. Their leader stood at the very front with an empty glass wine cup in her hand.

"Dear me..." said the leader, "You should watch where you're going, Lady Gilmore."

Rebecca Gilmore, the youngest daughter of Count Gilmore. The Gilmore family rose from a merchant family after contributing to the kingdom during the late king's rule. They were also a family that had a mixture of Guides and Normals. Rebecca was known as one of the few Guides in her family. Before I came to the party, I had Viola provide me with information about the nobles coming to the party. I recognize the leader of the girl group. She's the daughter of Earl Lush, Rumelia Lush. The Lush family also runs trades but unlike the Gilmore family who rose from the merchant status, they were nobles who found interest in the work of trade and business. Also, unlike the Gilmore family, they were just a family of Normals. This was like the scenes in all those dramas where the main lead gets picked on at the party. However, instead of the main lead, it is more of those in the higher rank picking on those of the lower rank.

"My apologies... Lady Lush..." Rebecca said with a shy trembling voice.

The host, Countess Vergrumble was watching from the side. She plays true to her character. The one who loves drama and gossip. This situation was a set-up to embarrass Rebecca and isolate her from high society. A typical way to make one feel superior. Truly, pathetic. This makes me recall horrible memories from the past. 

Rumelia placed the glass down on the table and took a few steps towards Rebecca. She was already shaking like a shivering puppy from the cold. Rumelia looks down at her with a sinister smile, "I believe it would be best for you to return home and relearn your etiquette again, especially your hair. Aren't you ashamed to have such short hair? If I didn't know any better, I would have thought you were a boy dressing up like a girl."