001.

Yoana Thomas

Walking down the cold, dark streets of downtown Tallahassee, Florida I rubbed my arm as chills formed against my body

Walking down the cold, dark streets of downtown Tallahassee, Florida I rubbed my arm as chills formed against my body. I'd been walking for almost 30 minutes looking for someplace to lay my head.

"Oh excuse me", I mumbled stumbling over a woman and her baby. She gave me a small smile and walked away. I stopped at the light pressing the button at the crosswalk so I can cross the street to my favorite 7/11.

"Hi yoyo!" Katrina the owner spoke to me. I smiled, digging my hands in my pockets. "Can I have a few dollars?" I scratched my neck looking at nothing in particular.

"Hm." She handed me $10 I smiled big, "Thank you.. Ima pay you back one day." She just nodded giving me a reassuring smile.

I waved goodbye and walked outside feeling the chilly breeze hit my face. I looked to my left and spotted the all black kia with the small dent by the gas tank parked diagonally from 7/11.

I approached the car and tapped on the window, sniffing. Within seconds it rolled down and there he was.

Kylan, Tallahassee's most known drug dealer.

"What yoyo?" He mumbled, never looking up from his phone.

"T-the usual" I softly spoke, "and somewhere to rest my head" I added fiddling with my fingers.

He reached over and handed me a tiny white bag, I smiled grabbing it handing him the $10 I had gotten from Katrina.

"T-thank you-" He cut me off, "Yeah you're welcome. But listen my brother owns a couple places down here, you can stay there until further notice."

I nodded, biting the inside of my lip. He glanced at me, "Get in". I stuffed the bag inside my pocket, making my way to the passenger side and getting in.

I relaxed into the warm, leather seats which were heated and rested my head out the window.

1 year ago...

"Yoyo! come on bruh" Ari fussed as I walked to the front door. I rolled my eyes, grabbing my jacket following her outside.

"Took you long enough"

"Shut up bitch" I mugged her, getting in the car. "Where we going anyways"

She looked at me and stuck her tongue out, "To see my mannnnnn" I rolled my eyes once again. That nigga is nothing but trouble but she too damn blind to see it.

I sat back and scrolled through my phone. "When we get here don't be lame and trying to act boujee" She mumbled, "Girl please. You want me to be ghetto?"

She shrugged, "Whatever floats your boat but come on!" I sucked my teeth getting out the car following her inside Tony's house like a lost puppy.

We walked through the door. I quickly scanned the room, drugs and styrofoams cups scattered around the living room table, Tony sat in between two boys while Ari walked to sit on his lap, a couple in the kitchen arguing. I shivered and stood uncomfortably by the chair close to where Tony & Ari was.

Tony whispered something in Ari's ear and she looked at me and smiled an evilly-jokingly smile. I mugged her as she pulled out a bag of weed and sprinkled something inside the bag. She broke down the weed and put it in a gar. She licked the swisher down and lit it letting Tony take the first three pulls.

She took 3 pulls and looked up at me, extending her hand out. I shook my head, "No." Tony chuckled shaking his head- twitching in the process. "Why not Yoyo?" She smacked her lips staring dead at me. I shrugged looking else where.

"Do it!" She begged and begged. I smacked my lips feeling pressured, "Will you shut up if I do it?" She nodded.

boy. peer pressure is something.

I sighed, grabbing the swisher examining it. I took a deep pull and allowed the smoke to be released out my mouth.

"Yall dont even know whatchall hitting on", Tony mumbled which was followed by a chuckle.

I ignored him as Ari and I passed the swisher back and forth. I felt woozy all of a sudden, I could hear my heartbeat beating faster and faster. I shook my head, "You got some water?"

Tony chucked his head over to the kitchen area. I walked in the kitchen area, opening the fridge grabbing a water. I twisted the cap off, gulping it down. I walked back to the living room and sat down, quietly observing everything around me.

I didn't feel right physically but mentally? I felt relaxed and calmer like I was having an out of body experience. "What was it?" I asked not looking up.

"What?" Ari giggled. "He said we didn't know what we were smoking- so I asked what was it?" I looked up at Tony.

He got up dusting his clothes off, shaking his head. "Cocaine".

My heart dropped. Cocaine. Cocaine.. Cocaine... The word replayed in my head and for some reason, I knew this wouldn't be my last encounter with smoking cocaine.

PRESENT

"Earth to yoyo!!" Kylan snapped in my face. I jumped looking at him and then outside the window. "Oh" I mumbled, rubbing my arm.

"You good?" I nodded, "Here go the key. It's some spare clothes in there and food. The owner won't be back in town for 2 days so do as you pleased. "

"Okay thank you-" I reached for the key, "Don't steal nothing and don't have your lil addict friends over here and call if you need anything, there's a house phone in there with my number programmed."

I bit the inside of my lip nodding grabbing the key. I got out and shut the door behind me walking up to the front door.

I unlocked it walking inside seeing everything nicely decorated. I took my ran down jacket off once the warm temperature in the room hit me. I navigated around the house to learn my way around it.

I grabbed a rag and wash cloth, going inside the bathroom turning the shower on the hottest temperature. I stripped out of my clothing and got directly under the shower.

I looked down watching two weeks worth of dirt glide off my body as the water hit my skin. I sighed grabbing a bar of soap and began bathing.

I turned the water off feeling refreshed and better. I grabbed a towel dried my body off and put on a long white tee. I walked in the room, grabbing my "medicine" out of my pocket.

I poured the cocaine on a book as I looked around anxiously for something to separate it with. I found a small wire looking object, I licked my lips breaking down the cocaine into small neat rows. I pressed down on my right side of my nose leaning down sniffing all the cocaine into the left side of my nose.

I stayed still for a slight moment feeling the sensation of the cocaine rush down my nose. I shook my head, "FUCK!" I groaned going in for another line.

•••

well, well, well.. 🌚 idk how i feel about this but ima keep on going .. hopefully

thoughts? 🤔

-B.