Chapter 31- Potions

"What about this then?" Severus' finger pointed at the little screen. Y/N let her eyes scan over the application.

"Really, a hairstylist?" She looked over at Severus, who gave a confused shrug.

"Your hair always sits perfectly, why not?" Y/N grimaced at that, not seeing herself working in a salon in the future.

"This is pointless," She groaned. Severus regarded her silently, staring at her with those gentle eyes. Others would argue that they did not seem gentle at all, but to Y/N they did, and a part of her thought it was because he didn't look at others the way he looked at her. She hoped that when people saw them walking together that they'd think they were really together. Partners.

In love.

Though they wouldn't stay in love for that much longer if it continued going down this path. They had an argument over money. Severus didn't earn much with his teacher salary and Y/N wondered why Severus didn't want to find something new. It would be a fresh start. But no, that was a bad idea because then he'd have to start from the bottom and he'd get paid even less. 'No one wants to hire a fucking death eater,' Severus had yelled at her a day ago. Before Y/N could even respond he ran off to the bedroom in a huff, and a while later he came back out but acted as if their argument never existed.

They both knew that Severus was excellent in potions and DADA, but what Severus said made her think. He was still hated by the majority of the wizarding world even after proving himself over and over again. If he got lucky and indeed got hired, they'd underpay him because they knew he couldn't find anything better.

Then Severus mentioned that if he ever quit his job for something else, she'd have to start working too, or else he wouldn't be able to support them both. So here the were, sitting on the stupid fucking couch trying to find a stupid job for her.

"I don't wanna do that," She muttered, crossing her arms. Severus rolled his eyes.

"Well, then I give up. You don't want to do anything. I'm sorry, Y/N, but this is impossible. You are impossible." Oh, they were getting into another fight weren't they?

"Uhm, I'm sorry that I want to have a job that I actually enjoy instead of working in one place I hate for so long that I start making the students cry. Just. Because. I'm. Petty," She pointed at his chest. She didn't wanna do this again, really, there was just something in her that had to say it.

She knew that it hit Severus hard. He had never really enjoyed making his students scared of him. He was just a miserable bastard who had to make others feel miserable as well, since that was the only thing that could cheer him up just a little bit. He was less cruel now that the war was over, although they were still scared of him. He was strict, and she knew firsthand how intimidating he could be.

"At least I'm not so immature that I refuse to work like every other person on earth," He sneered while standing up. "And I'm not going to have this discussion again. Either work or don't work, make up your goddamn mind. I've survived almost dying, I'm sure that I can handle teaching potions to snotty children for a while longer." Severus was yelling again, his cheeks red and his eyebrow drawn. And with that, Severus walked off to the bedroom again and closed the door a bit harder than necessary.

Y/N sighed. It was obvious that Severus didn't like teaching Potions anymore. She didn't really know why. Perhaps it was because Hogwarts held too many painful memories, or he couldn't stand teaching students that hated him. Or perhaps he never wanted it in the first place. It wouldn't be something to ask since she knew she wouldn't get an answer anyway. All she saw was that it made Severus stressed. Unhappy.

She left him to cool down for an hour or two. She made tea in the meantime, then more tea and then once more to bring to Severus. She stood in front of the closed door, and contemplated on knocking. She didn't, and instead opened the door loud enough for him to hear.

"Sev?" The door creaked open, and she saw him lying on the bed. His back was turned towards her, and curled up into himself just a little bit. Enough to be noticeable, but not enough for Y/N to think that it was a conscious move. She set the tea down on the nightstand and climbed onto the bed. He didn't move a muscle.

Y/N shifted until she could lie down behind him, her arm over his waist. It must seem weird, but she didn't care.

"Couldn't we...do something together?" She whispered.

"What do you mean, together?" Severus asked.

"Well, we could work together. I mean...you do enjoy making potions, right?" Severus nodded curtly. "So we should find something where you could make potions, and uhm- I could sell them! Okay, so we'll set up our own store. You'll be in the back making potions and stuff, and I'll be at the front to sell them. You won't even have to speak to any customers. And-"

"Y/N, you're babbling," And Y/N was sure she could hear a smile in his voice, even if it was only a tiny one. She laughed.

"It would be great. We'd have enough money to buy ourselves a new place. Somewhere remote, but still easily accessible. Hmm, a big field where we have enough privacy to do whatever we please if you know what I mean." Severus groaned loudly while turning around, but his eyes were as gentle as she knew them to be, and the smile was still on his lips.

"You're insufferable, you know that," He said, pecking her lips.

"And" Kiss "We'll" Kiss "Live happier ever after." Kiss. The last one was on his nose, which made Severus a bit crossed-eyed.

"We can...explore those options," Severus said, looking far more interested in it than he cared to show.