Chapter 17- Last goodbyes

The rhythm tap of his fingers on the table made her nervous. The silence was unbearable and there was a tense atmosphere in the air. She was already feeling devastated, already missing him although he sat a chair away from her.

They, mostly Y/N, tried to convince the Headmaster otherwise for an entire week to not let Severus go. He had done nothing wrong but they started to get complaints from parents when news started to spread. Y/N was well aware that it was probably that child in Ravenclaw who had spied on them and told one of her parents, who was working for one of the papers. 

Dumbledore tried to keep everything in order but letters came in his office every day, demanding an explanation when the article about Hogwarts was up. Everyone stayed anonymous, but it clearly stated that there was a Professor at Hogwarts who took advantage of students. It wasn't worded exactly like that, more a few hints leading to how Dumbledore allowed these illegal relationships between teacher and student and how there was a rumour going around that one of the Professors was taking it too far.

Of course, none of this was true but even after Dumbledore's public speech about the article, no one had fully believed him and thought it was a cover-up. That all happened in a week so it was kind of chaotic and now that things finally died down after Dumbledore announced that he was handling the case, things went back to the usual silence, but this one was unnatural. Y/N was forced to watch Severus fall apart in front of her eyes. 

He had done absolutely nothing to stop it. He had let the students talk about their suspicions that it was him, he hadn't given any detentions, hadn't pulled off house points and hadn't improved the students in class by correcting them. It seemed as if he was really done.

Y/N tried to talk to him about it last night, their final night. Severus had originally been asked to leave his quarters in a day and he also packed his bags for it, but he couldn't find any alternative home since Spinner's End was now owned by the Ministry. So they gave him an extra week and it was also a pro for the Headmaster, who was desperately searching for someone to take over the Potions classes.

So she tried to talk to him that night, about what he was going to do next. Why wasn't he fighting back to keep his rights? It felt like a deja-vu to that evening when Severus snapped at her when she had tried to discuss the funeral for his mother. This time, they laid in bed together, both awake and both trying to pretend they were sleeping. Y/N sighed and turned around to face him instead of staring at the ceiling.

"Sev?" Silence.

"Sev, please say something-"

"Don't you dare call me that," she heard his voice growl. She flinched slightly at the harsh tone but chose to ignore it for the time being. Severus was absolutely not willing to cooperate with her, to think of ideas on how to turn this back and how in Merlin's sake he is going to live. He had no home, he rented a cheap apartment in muggle London yesterday and it was even smaller than his quarters. 

He wasn't going to be able to keep up paying the rent if he was jobless. And while Y/N was desperate to help, he refused everything. He was distant and they didn't have their usual ritual anymore.

She didn't want to tell him, but she actually found a way to live for herself. Of course, after the battle, she relied on Severus' earnings and moved into his quarters with him. She hadn't had any money herself since she lost contact with her parents. It had worried her immensely when she heard he was getting fired. 

First, she thought about how unfair it was, then that Severus was going to lose his happiness and everything else, then she fretted over money and her own living space.

Dumbledore offered her an extra set of quarters at Hogwarts. It was free for the time being, as she was helpful for Poppy with the students but that was the only thing she could give and she knew that that wasn't going to last. She'd eventually be kicked out by the Headmaster when he realized she was a waste of time and money. She also hadn't told Severus yet....which she was about to do.

"I have to tell you something," She whispered, her body was shaking from fear and her breathing was ragged. Severus still hadn't looked at her once and she ignored the sting of it.

"I-I'm staying here. Dumbledore offered me a space at Hogwarts and I couldn't refuse. Severus, I don't have any money so you have to understand-" Again she was cut off by him. She actually felt guilty for trying to worm her way out of the trouble and letting Severus sink on his own.

"I see," He simply said. Then a rustle was heard and Y/N later realized he was turning his back toward her. She laid there for a while more, thinking about everything. She felt herself going in that unavoidable dip again. She felt old urges come back.

So now, Severus still gave her the silence treatment as they finished eating breakfast. It was almost immediately after he finished the food that he stood up from his chair and strode to the bedroom. Y/N couldn't stand to say anything and stayed seated and quiet as she heard him grabbing his bags. 

Most of them were already moved to the apartment but he needed to go to the train station in the muggle world, so he had made an essential bag with a book and some other things to survive the trip.

She turned in her seat to look at him, as he gracefully walked to the floo. He stopped for a moment and she took the time to cherish seeing her for the last time. His back was tense and rigid, his shoulders were drawn back and his lip was tightened in a thin line, the same expression he had when he was deep in his thoughts.

She couldn't believe this was actually happening. Her stomach twisted violently as if she had to throw up and she clutched the table with all the strength that she had, so hard that her knuckles were white.

She watched as he gave a curt nod, not directed to her but to himself. He hadn't even looked her in the eye once since this morning after last night's fight. He took a deep sigh and grabbed a handful of powder.

"I love you," She whispered, a tear rolling down her cheek. Severus stepped in the fireplace and shrugged at the confession.

"Whatever," was barely audible before he threw the powder in the fireplace and the flames changed to green.