Stuck with me.

Mia's POV

It's September 2nd. Saturday. It's so odd that the first day starting school yesterday was on a Friday.

Now it's the weekend. Most kids or teenagers say the weekend is the best time of the week because they can go home and forget about school. But for me, it's not so simple.

All I do is overhear my parents yelling at each other. All by myself. All alone. Nobody to comfort me. Except for my stuffed animals. I don't know what to do especially when my parents bring me into the argument.

My dad barges in through my bedroom door.

"Tell your mother about where I was earlier! I'm not cheating on her!"

My mom walked in straight after hollering, "Yes, you are! You were out with one of your women from a 'work' meeting. I know damn well I don't recognize her! We work at the same place!" She paused breathing heavily, "Mia! Is he cheating on me? You better not lie to me."

I stared between the two of them. How would I know? I mean, I don't pay enough attention to know. All I do is try to stay out of their business or else I'm considered too nosy.

"No, he wasn't and isn't cheating on you. Your accusations are false."

"Excuse you? How dare you lie to my face?"

"What— how am I lying?"

"You don't look like you're being honest you little brat!"

"I'm not lying to you!" I shouted back.

Well, I technically wasn't. I even recognized the woman. It was a woman who had been in the background of a photo on the website for the company they both worked for. Yes, I happen to stalk sometimes.

She ignored me yelling and turned back to my father again.

"HOW DARE YOU? CHEATING ON ME WITH A RANDOM WOMAN YOU JUST MET?"

"Honey—" he said calmly back as she interrupted him shouting again.

"NO! This discussion is OVER."

She walked out and he looked over at me with apologetic eyes. I could tell he was sorry. I knew he wasn't cheating. He wasn't a cheater. He loves my mother no matter how psychotic and chaotic she was. He was telling the truth.

***

I'm the sort of person that can tell what a person is thinking by looking in their eyes. It's easy to read people usually. But, not all people.

Talia Woods.

She was hard to read.

Every time I tried to look at her or when we got partnered up for projects in class, I was never able to tell what's going on in her mind. Or if her hatred was as deep as mine was for her.

"So, another project we're partners for. How amazing." She spoke sarcastically.

"Stop being so stubborn and let's just get this shit— I mean, stuff done with."