36

The morning went by slow as I waited to catch Sofia after her meetings. I wasn't sure how to survive this two weeks between these four walls with my new future teasing me.

"Hey, Sofia. I was wondering if I could talk to you about something?" I ask, finding the right moment as she walked by my desk.

"Of course. I was going to grab a coffee, come join me" she said, waving her hand at me to follow her to the staff room. "Does this have anything to do with the recommendation I gave to Mr Sturniolo yesterday?"

"Maybe" I laughed, holding the door open for her.

"Did you get call back for another interview?" She asked, turning to face me.

"I got the job!" I answered, matching her excitement. She squealed and wrapped me in a hug.

"I'm happy for you, but I'll be sad to see you go" she hummed, rubbing my back.

"I am too. It's bittersweet"

"When is your last day with us?" She asked, patting my arm, turning to the kettle.

"The 25th actually, so I have two weeks left to help you find a replacement"

"That sounds right" she mumbled, taking the coffee out of the cabinet.

"I was wondering if there'd be any chance I'd be able to take a day off somewhere, to do some training for the new job? If not, that's okay. I just thought I'd ask" I said, clasping my hands together.

"Let me think" she whispered, tapping her fingers on the counter. "Next Friday would be fine, they're slow days anyway. Does that work for you?"

"I'll have to check with Mr Sturniolo about it to check if that works for him" I said, messing with the ring on my finger that Holly got me for Christmas.

"Is this Mr Sturniolo the former boss you speak of?" She asked, turning to face me with a smile. I nodded my head, and by the look on her face, I wasn't hiding my expression well. "What's that smile for?"

"Nothing" I said quickly, walking around her to grab a cup.

"You haven't a big smile for nothing, and it didn't get five times bigger for nothing when I mentioned his name"

"I don't know how to put it into words" I said, picking up the kettle and watching how the coffee reacted to the water.

"Feelings are hard to put into words, aren't they?" She said, easily putting my doubt into a phrase.

"And they're scary to admit"

"Yeah, they are" she said, clinging her spoon against the inside of her cup. "They're harder to admit when you have them for someone...am I getting close?"

"Very" I said, feeling the steam of the coffee hit my face.

"Are you feeling better about going back to work for him?"

"Yeah, until I start thinking about it too much" I said, growing more comfortable with her, wishing it was as easy to tell him.

"If it's in your plans, maybe you should tell him what you told me, or start it off that way. He sounded fond of you, you know? He's a kind man" She said, tapping her spoon off her cup. "Whatever you do, Y/N. I hope you're happy. Why don't you call him and ask about next Friday?"

"Thank you. It means a lot to me"

"Sure thing. Go make me proud and call him, so you don't have to wait two weeks"

I nodded, and picked up my coffee to go call him. I felt my fingers trembling as I pulled my phone out of my pocket. I suppose I should get used to talking to him anyway.