33

I apologise in advance, you'll see why .. But anyway, thank you so much for reading <3

I wonder how I could ever be unhappy in this weather, and walking from my favourite restaurant. A particular thought reminds me of what I need to do, despite the dread I've been feeling.

Taking my phone out of my pocket, I swipe through my apps until I find the right one. I leaned against my car door with a huff. Quickly, my fingers flit across the screen typing the words in front of my eyes. I stare at the screen before sending the message.

I wait for the notification to come through, the message from him. I grew more and more nervous as the minutes tick by. When I checked my phone when I got home, I had no notifications.

Taking off my shoes, I walk through the living rooms and kitchen room area before reaching my bedroom. I sat down in front of my computer on my desk.

The ding suddenly grabbed my attention, and I hovered my fingers over the keyboard. I looked over at my phone, wondering who the text was from. Taking a deep breath, I pick up the phone and open the text.

Me: hey, I'm sorry I've been crap at texting back, I've a lot of tests this week. Speaking of that, I have a test the day we're supposed to get lunch. Can we reschedule again?

Matt: sorry I can't. I'm not going to be around, I have cases. Let's talk about it when I'm back

Sighing, I sent back a message, agreeing with him. The sick feeling in my stomach stayed there, and my excitement for the lunch date turn into disappointment. I turned away from my phone and slumped against the chair.

It's been a month since I saw him, although we sent a few texts, it wasn't enough for me. Holly told me there was nothing stopping me from showing up at his office, but she's wrong. I don't know his schedule anymore.

~

Over the next few weeks, I see him at every corner I turn, and it hurts more than it should. The ignored texts shouldn't feel like a stab wound when I see the scrabble box in the family room, get on the same lift, or walking past the nurses station. Avoiding that couch like the plague only reminded me of the texts I sent him that he ignored. I can't blame him, I took a week to reply.

The tight feeling in my chest got heavier as I sit on the couch in my childhood living room. It pained me to turn my favourite show down as I dig my phone out. I tried not to let it get to me when I once again, find no messages.

Pressing the phone to my ear, all I can hear is it's ringing and my heart pounding in my chest. As time dragged on, I was certain I'd hear a voicemail. But I was wrong.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Matt"

"Hey, how are you?" He asked and I heard a clattering noise in the background.

"Did I call at bad time?"

"No. I'm just making dinner"

"What are you cooking?" I asked, twirling the ring on my finger.

"Just some pasta. So..why'd you call?"

"Uh..I haven't heard from you in a while and I wanted to say hi"

"Hi" he hummed awkwardly, followed by the sound of a door closing. I closed my eyes, feeling uneasy. "We've both been busy. I have cases, you have school and your dad"

"Yeah" I said, resting my chin in my palm. "I wanted to tell you that I finished my finals last week, so now I have one test left in the fall. Oh, and Dad got to ring the bell today. He's finished with chemo and his scans look good. It's hard to believe he's cancer free"