Love At Dawn (Carmi)

Author: LiebeKlara

Reviewer: Read-aholic2006

Genre: Historical Fiction/Romance

Although the blurb was not very revealing, it provided me with the key details that I needed. This book is categorized as a romance genre and takes place in a historical era, following the love story of Edith and Andre. However, the plot is complex, with the introduction of another character in the blurb who has not yet made an appearance in the story.

The plot flows smoothly and seamlessly, featuring two time skips by chapter 4, one of three years and another of six years. The historical setting is nuanced with the real-life backdrop of former Paris during the French Revolution, and the characters' archaic dialogue further enhances the story's ambiance. Their conversations lack the casualness of modern-day speech, as evidenced by lines such as "How could someone like me, born into poverty, ever aspire to a position at court?"

The author's diction showcases an extensive vocabulary, using words such as bourgeoisie, connoisseur, voracity, erudite, sedentary, and perfidious, which sets it apart from the more casual language of today's generation. The vivid imagery brings the story to life, with wealthy individuals with their swollen bellies hurrying past, and ornate carriages carrying bewigged aristocrats rushing by, ignoring their surroundings. The narration is adorned with beautiful figures of speech, including personification (The sound of the drums announcing the execution interrupted his confession), metaphors (If the flames of dawn burned in Andre's eyes, then in Raphael's gaze rippled the bluish waves of autumn), and similes(Even though the speaker didn't intentionally emphasize his name, it always seemed to stand out in her ears, like a particularly clear note in a melody or the bright red flame in her little painter's depiction of Prometheus in oil).

The characters are well-defined and distinct, with Margot portrayed as well-behaved and ladylike, and her younger cousin Edith as a wild and free-spirited individual with a passion for writing. Andre is shrouded in mystery, a poetic, artistic, and intelligent character who keeps secrets from Edith, adding to his appeal.

The writer introduces multiple personalities and masterfully creates a vivid picture of the characters' appearances. For instance, The lustrous blond curls fell over his shoulders, his features refined enough to be those of Narcissus in Greek mythology, while the angular face added a lot of masculinity...His brow was always slightly furrowed beneath the marble forehead, creating a contemplative look even during conversation.

An unexpected conflict between Madame Roland and Edith adds a layer of tension to the atmosphere, as their views on the justification of the September Massacre clash heavily. Edith supports the event, viewing the murders as a form of retaliation, while Roland sees it as cruel and animalistic.

Certain scenes evoke an emotional response, such as when a painter buys food for poor, hungry children, eliciting feelings of sympathy and sadness. The bittersweet moment showcases Andre's compassion and the inconsideration of others.

While there were a few errors regarding punctuation, such as comma splices and using a comma instead of a full stop in dialogue quotations, the overall narration impressed me, and I would give this book a full five-star rating. Despite not being a fan of politics or history, the chapters were enjoyable, and the writer successfully weaved the romance genre into a story focused on monarchy and sedition.

Readers who enjoy historical fiction, politics, romance, and a strong female protagonist will undoubtedly appreciate this book.