Prologue

Under the merciless pouring and heavy wind, a tall and lean man rushed towards the two storey building. With his clothes sticking to his skin, dark wet hair covering his forehead, he barged through the front door where he soon found the family of the Alpha in the middle of dinner.

"Alpha! I apologize for my sudden arrival. But you need to come with me. It's an emergency!" the beta said. An urgency filled his tone.

"What's the matter, Donovan? Is it another rogue again?" The eleven years old boy asked before his step-father, the current alpha, could speak. Even though he was young, the command in his indifferent voice and firmness of his silver eyes forced the beta to lower his eyes in submission. After all, the boy was the future Alpha of RedClaws pack.

The soaked man shook his head, sneaking a subtle look of hesitancy towards the Luna, Ralph. "No, Vinson. There…there is a woman at the border seeking refuge from the MoonGlaze pack. They were attacked and she somehow escaped with her…four year old daughter."

The mere mention of the pack's name made Alpha Christopher tense. The way his beta held his gaze, an anxiety rolled through him. Unaware of the tension, the Luna didn't bother listening to another pack issue and continued feeding her five year old daughter. But it didn't escape the boy's eyes.

"The woman is badly injured, Alpha. She has lost a lot of blood. If not treated right away, we may lose her," the beta added, clenching his fists. He knew the woman, cared for her as his sister, but his hands were tied. "Even her daughter has several injuries."

Despite the urgency of the moment, Christopher schooled his features into coldness and rose to his feet. "I will be back in half an hour, honey. Don't wait for me."

Ralph just gave a shrug, unaware that her husband's past was knocking on the door again. And this time, it brought an illegitimate child with it. A hazel eyed little girl.

"I will come with you." Vinson stood up as well, giving the beta a look that forced the man to avoid his panicked gaze.

Alpha Christopher was uncomfortable as well. "There is no need, Vinson. It's raining outside…"

"Did I ask your permission?" The little boy raised a thick dark brow. Silver eyes challenging the alpha.

His step-father'a jaw clenched at the disrespect. But he couldn't really do anything to Vinson, the true heir of the pack. Left with no choice, he nodded and left for the borders with Vinson and the beta following him.

Even Ralph was mildly astonished at the sudden interest of her son in that particular matter. He never showed any interest related to any matter where his step-father was needed.

When they arrived at the pack borders under the heavy storm, the injured tiny frail woman already went unconscious from excessive blood loss and cold. She was immediately rushed to the small clinic situated alongside the borders, made for situations like these.

With a heaviness forming in his heart, the alpha paced outside the room where the woman was being examined by the pack doctor. Thunder flashed across the dark sky, the heavy rain didn't stop with the passing time. Not far from the clinic, weak whimpers reached Vinson's ears. Small sniffles and choked sobs followed. Worried voices could be heard where two nurses tried to urge someone to come out and let them take a look.

Despite being suspicious of his step-father's extreme anxiousness for an unknown lady, the agony filled whimpers of a little girl grabbed Vinson's attention. Something inside him wasn't comfortable with the noise. But he stood in his spot.

Once the old doctor came out, he nodded at the alpha with respect before letting out a sigh. "I'm sorry, Alpha. We couldn't save her. She had several deep wounds from the attack. One of them was with a silver laced knife."