BOOK XIII

A strong wind blows outside the barn owned by the Hasting's, a rumble of thunder sounds in the distance. Five girls, Aria, Emily, Spencer, Madelyn and Hanna are spread out along the old furniture, all of them passing round a red solo cup which they take turns tipping their heads back and swallowing the drink. A sharp crack of lightning rips through the barn causing the lights to flicker and then turn dark, the girls become frightened as their music abruptly dies. The girls fumble around in the dark before managing to turn on a flashlight and light one of the candles, a disturbing knock comes from outside the barn causing them all to freeze.

"Something's out there" Aria whispers, her hand shaking the flashlight slightly.

"Some thing or some one?" Emily's eyes dart between each of her friends.

"It's probably nothing" Madelyn shrugs and rolls her eyes.

The knocking gets louder and moves closer to the barn door. Then abruptly - the knocking stops. The girls take their eyes from the door and exchange looks, Hanna watches with wide eyes as the handle on the barn door turns.

"Guys - " Hanna breathes out.

They all follow her gaze to the barn door, it slowly opens but no one appears to be there. The girls, huddled together, cautiously walk towards the open doorway. They peer outside. It's black. Windy. Eerie. Then - A figure lunges out from the darkness, the girls let out a terrified scream.

"Gotcha" Alison laughs.

Alison stands in the doorway of the barn, she's the type of girl that makes other girls feel cool when they hang out with her. Everyone breathes a sigh of relief as Alison walks into the barn.

"That was so not funny" Spencer folds her arms across her chest, her breathing still unsteady.

"I thought it was hilarious" Alison's smile only grows wider.

She grabs the solo cup from Spencer and takes a sip, they all find a cozy space to sit and relax. Alison passes on the cup to Hanna, who catches sight of the ipod in her friends pocket.

"Did you download the new Beyoncé?" Hanna asks.

"Not yet" Ali pouts, tapping her finger against her leg.

"I'm loving her new video" Emily smiles at the memory of watching it.

"Maybe a little too much, Em?" Alison raises her eyebrows slightly.

Emily throws Alison a hurt look but Alison simply offers her back a seemingly sweet smile. Unaware of the glances being thrown around, Hanna passes on the cup to Aria who takes a big sip.

"Careful, Aria." Spencer laughs "Take too much and you'll tell us all your secrets".

"Friends share secrets. That's what keeps us close" Alison smiles to all her friends before turning back to Aria "Drink up".

They all share a look then Aria takes her friends lead and enjoys another sip.

Hanna Marin stands at the sunglasses counter of the upscale department store. Skinny and gorgeous, Hanna is currently the "it girl" at Rosewood high. She tries on a glamorous pair of expensive shades and reviews her reflection in the mirror. While still wearing the shades she beckons the male clerk, a thirty-year-old retail lifer.

"Can I see the Guccis in the front?" Hanna requests.

"I'll have to put a few of these back" The clerk informs her.

"But they're all maybe's" she sighs.

He relents then complies with her request, Mona Vanderwall calls to Hanna from across the aisle. She models a floral summer scarf for her friend.