Epilogue

18 months later.

James POV:

"I'm not doing it baby, I can't."

"You hit people in the face and get hit back for your job, you can do this."

"Alyssa this is very fucking different."

"Come on, please."

"Don't pout at me, that's not fair."

Alyssa and I are currently tied together at the feet with a piece of rubber. Rubber. That's it, that's what holds my life together, well that and a bunch of cords and cables.

Turns out my Mom left a trust for Reece and myself. I'm sure my mom tried to get access to it to fuel her addiction, Carol said as much when she was following up with the paperwork but that's the thing about trusts they're legally binding and cannot be changed without significant reason. It was a long process getting access to it, but it's helped a lot, it's what funded our trip back to Australia to visit Alyssa's mom and then for Alyssa's birthday present I bought tickets to New Zealand which is where I am currently fighting for my life standing over a huge canyon in a city called Queenstown.

"This is all I want for my birthday."

"Liar." I tease, I know what else she wants but there are people around so I can't embarrass her by telling the whole staff she wants my face between her legs.

"Right, love birds you ready?" Taine says, the staff member who made me sign a consent form in case I decapitate myself, surely that should've been enough of a reason not to go ahead with this.

"Yes"

"No." We both say at the same time, and Alyssa gives me a huge, borderline psychotic smile as Taine pushes us closer to the edge.

"If I die, I will haunt you forever." My heart is definitely going in overdrive right now and I'm not sure I can blame the drop in front of me for it.

Taine starts his countdown and I can hear Alyssa's mom cheering for us on the side. I tug on the cords and pat my pocket one last time.

"I'm trying really hard to be macho right now baby, but I'm failing miserably-"

Before I get to finish my sentence I hear Taine yell "1" and then a firm push as he sends me to my death over a 140 foot drop.

Alyssa screams, but I can't even muster that, I'm stunned silent, my life flashing before my eyes.

The last 18 months with Alyssa have been some of the best in my whole life. Aly has one more semester left before we both come back to Australia for her masters in psychology. I signed a contract for a local boxing gym in Penrith, Sydney which will be interesting, but all I want is to be close to Aly so I could be boxing in a gutter for all I care. Reece wasn't exactly happy about the move but he has warmed up to Alyssa now, and he knows she's my world. My dad, well he is still flakey at times but he shows effort every holiday and regularly texts to check in, I still hold a lot of anger and resentment towards him which I am slowly trying to work through.

"My macho man." Aly whispers in my ear.

"They can't hear us down here baby, You don't have to whisper. They wont know how badly I want to give you your birthday present, my tongue between your-" Alyssa reaches her hand around and slaps it across my mouth, her cheeks flushing red.

She's shaking her head side to side when she says, "Babe they have a go-pro recording for video purchases." She flicks her eyes up.

"Oh fuck." My gaze follows hers and lands on the go pro.

Well at least it's going to capture a good memory.

Aly breaks out in a laugh, and even though we are upside down with far too much blood pooling in our heads I've never loved her more than I do right now. She's the best thing that has ever happened to me and I will never let her forget that.

"Happy birthday Baby, I love you so fucking much."

Her eyes soften at the edges as she takes my words in.

"I would gift you every star in the universe just to see that smile on your face everyday."

Aly tilt's her head to the side and tries to give me a kiss, she only reaches the corner of my lips though, partly due to the cables and ropes and partly because we are still upside down. We tug on the release cord and swing ourselves right ways up as they begin to wind us up.

"I love you more." Aly leans in again to kiss me and this time her lips land true, sucking gently on her bottom lip she parts her lips like she always does and I slip my tongue in clashing against hers.

"I just threw myself over a canyon in the middle of winter, while it's snowing for your birthday, I definitely think I love you more."

Her nose and cheeks are flushed red and I know it is a mixture of the cold and her usual beauty. I press a quick peck to her nose and then rest my forehead against hers as we are continued to be pulled up.

"Alyssa baby?"

"Mhmm?"

I take a deep breath, and pull away catching on the most beautiful eyes I've ever had the privilege of seeing. "You're so fucking amazing, everything you do makes me think you're too good for me, that I will never be worthy, but I am far too selfish to let anyone else have you. I would love nothing more than to spend the rest of my life trying to prove to you that I can be the world you deserve."

Alyssa's mouth is wide open, her hands on her chest with a slight tremble as I see tears start to pool behind her eyes.

I slip my hand into the safety pocket Taine ensured would keep the ring safe and fish it out. A white gold, solitaire oval that Mera helped me pick it out.

"Alyssa Steward, will you make me the happiest man in the world and marry me?"

A beat passes as she looks frozen in shock her eyes locked on the ring before she lifts her gaze back to me and I see her answer before she says it.

"Yes, yes, a thousand times yes."