Bruised egos.

Kate

Rome and me had been ignoring each other like the plague.

I knew I couldn't control myself around him, as much as I hated his guts and cocky self I knew I'd give in, I think I'm seriously sex deprived to act like a horny fucking teenager.

The urge to kiss him that night was irresistible but I held my ground, and I'm so glad I did, because one taste and I knew I would be addicted.

I was sitting in the kitchen, watching Martha cook as she spoke to me.

"Why don't you call your parents up for a meal here, sometime?" she asked suddenly, facing me with a big excited smile.

My smile instantly faltered, "I-"

"Oh, I'm sorry darlin, you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to," she said sensing the change in my mood.

I shook my head, "No, it's just my father's an asshole and I do not want to see him again and my mom died when me and my brother were young," I said, giving her a small lopsided smile.

She just tucked at my blouse urging me to get up and wrapped her hands around me, when I stood up.

I froze, I didn't remember the last time someone hugged me, but Martha's motherly warmth chipped away all my walls and I instantly melted in her arms.

It felt so good, like the empty hollow feeling in my chest had finally stopped gnawing at the pieces of my heart.

I don't remember how long we stood there like that, neither of us making a move to go, when I heard Dante's voice, "aww" he cooed at us and wrapped his arms around both of us before I could turn around to look at him.

I felt the voices in my head shutup for the first time in a while and choked on half laugh half sob on Martha's shoulder.

We parted away, both Martha and Dante looking at me with adoration a hint of concern.

"Guy's I'm good, thankyou," I said to them, with a genuine smile plastered on my face.

"You must," Martha said, in a stern motherly tone, going back to her cooking and Dante took a seat beside me.

I nodded my head smiling to myself even though she couldn't see it.

Dante nudged me in the shoulders, I sat facing him, "Wassup," I said wiggling my brows.

He breathed a small chuckle, "Let's play a game Katie," he said, grinning.

"Don't you've work?" I asked, looking at him suspiciously.

I didn't know who I was anymore or who had entered my body, because my entire life, I'd never had a friend nor spoke to somebody so freely, but it felt good to get out of the cage I'd build for myself.

"No, I'd to complete, a weeks long work in fourty eight hours, because the big bad Don had said me to, so now I'm on a break," he replied, with a triumph expression on his face.

My mouth formed in a O shape and I patted his arm, "Good job kid" I said, mimicking a coach.

"Hey," he said, looking offended for two seconds but then both of us broke into a smile.

Dante went to his room and brought a stash of cards, he also blackmailed Martha into playing with us.

Five games and five losses later, Dante dramatically put his hands in the air and looked at us with his mouth agape.

A tiny smirk pulled on my mouth, and Martha coughed turning around trying to hide her laughter.

Dante's eyes grew even wider if it was possible and he looked more offended, just then angry footsteps came into the kitchen making us turn to the source of sound.

"In my office, now." Rome said to Dante, his voice angry.

I scrunched my brows in confusion but Dante looked unphased and followed Rome after stacking the cards together and giving me a, "I'll get you later," mock glare.

"Is he always like this," I asked Martha, putting my hand under my chin.

She shrugged, "Sometimes worse, but that's just how he's always been."

I nodded my head and dug into the plate of delicious looking food Martha plated infront of me.

"It's so good, thankyou so much," I said chewing onto the stake.

She gave me a small smile and I quickly finished my food, helping her clean the dishes and went to the living room.

I could just feel Rome's temper enveloping the whole house, so I did what I shouldn't have.

I entered the office unannounced and sat beside Dante, making both their attention snap to me.

"You're dismissed," Rome said to Dante, his face stoic. Dante grinned at me before leaving.

Rome stared at me, placing his elbows on top of the table and entwining his fingers leaning forward, cocking a brow at me in question.

"I need to visit my father."

"Why," he said his eye twitching.

I was about to reason but stopped, "I'm no way answerable to you."

"I'm not going to run after you disciplining you princess, I will say and you will answer." he said, leaning back in his chair.

"Ask me nicely," I said looking at my nails.

A small smile touched his lips, "Why do you want to visit your petty excuse of a father, my beautiful princess," he said tilting his head a little.

I shrugged feeling accomplished, "I need to speak to him about the contract."

He hummed, "I'll see what can I do."

Just as I was about to open my mouth in protest a loud knocking sound and heels clicking on the floor could be heard along with Dante and woman's shouting sounds.

A tall blonde came inside the office, her hips swaying followed by an angry looking Dante.

"Hazel,who let you in?" Rome asked looking at her, his face still stoic and voice bored.

The blonde, whose name was Hazel apparently, looked at me up and down and tensed defensively.

"I..needed to talk," she said returning her gaze to Rome, in a sultry voice.

He motioned her to continue with an arched brow but she looked at me, "In private." she added.

I very well knew this game and I'm not letting this dumbfuck tell me what to do.

"Dante, Kate." Rome said, eyeing the door for us to leave.

And not going to lie it hurt my ego a little too but I'd rather slice my wrist than fight over a man.

I stood up and walked away without sparing both of them another glance, with my bruised ego and a thousand thoughts in my mind.