Chapter 27

Chapter 27 — Two Nannies

"How long has he been like this?" Dr Chang asks as he records his body temperature and checks his breathing with a stethoscope.

"Um..." Liam scratches his chin, shrugging lightly, "I'm not sure. I did see him at work yesterday. He seemed fine,"

Or did he? Liam remembers him coughing but not in a sick way, more like in a clearing his dry throat kind of way. His voice sounded maybe a little bit weird; Liam can't be sure.

"He is okay though, right?" Liam asks the doctor when it seemed like it was taking him too long to respond.

"He has a high fever," the doctor tells him, "He has taken some aspirin it seems," he refers to the empty strip which Liam informed him about as soon as it arrived, "But his fever has persisted. It's probably nothing to worry about. I'll write you a prescription. Get those tablets. And make sure he eats and especially drinks plenty of water,"

"The fact that he's practically a zombie, is that something I should be worried about?"

"It's because of his body temperature. A cold compress should help with that — just find a to–"

"Find a towel, damp it with cool water and put it on his forehead," Liam nods, "I'm familiar with that,"

He is not totally helpless when it comes to caring for a sick person; he has helped with his sister and the kids, and his ex was someone who got sick very frequently so yes, Liam has some experience.

"Yes, good. He should be awake then. But if his temperature does not go down or if he cannot keep any food or drinks down, do call me again," he hands him a written prescription, "Any other questions?"

"No. I'm good," he thanks the doctor and shows him out, and just as Liam was getting ready to go out to buy the medicine and also some grocery — although the man has a big fridge, and rows of cabinets, there is almost nothing in them — the doorbell rings.

He smiles and shakes his head as he opens the door; it's Jason who is smiling back at him sheepishly, "Told you I'm coming,"

Liam squints at him suspiciously, "Is this to purposely skip work?"

He fakes a dramatic gasp, "How bold of you to assume that?" he clicks his tongue in disappointment, stepping inside the house, "I wanted to see how my boss is doing, and to make sure you don't poison him or something,"

"The idea is very tempting to be honest," Liam nods, "But not particularly at the moment. He's helpless, and I have a principle to not harm helpless creatures,"

"Ah, how kind of you,"

"I know. And before you take off your shoes," he passes him the prescription, "Would you mind going to the pharmacy? And also maybe the supermarket? I thought I could maybe make some soup but he does not have anything in his kitchen,"

"Sure. No problem. What do you need?"

"I'll text you the list,"

"Okay dokey," he chirps, winking at him, knowing just how cheesy it makes him sound and saying it anyway, loving to see Liam cringe.

The latter shakes his head, smiling and unbeknownst to him, something stirs deep inside him, and this feeling comes abruptly alive inside him and he almost expresses it, "I lo–" but stops himself at the last second, his eyes widening.

Shit. That was close. And what? Does he... love him?

Fortunately, Jason did not catch the almost slip up and bids him goodbye. Liam quickly shuts the door behind him and leans against it, his heart thumping wildly against his chest. Fuck, is all he can think to himself at the moment.