Chapter 2

Chapter 2 — New Start

"Okay, you've totally got this, Liam," he gives himself a pep talk as he finally leaves the house and gets into his car, "Come on, baby. Please don't do this to me," he prays when the engine sputters and the car doesn't start, "Oh, you've got to be kidding me," he groans, slamming his head against the steering wheel when the engine doesn't even make any sound when he tries to turn the key again.

He eyes the only other vehicle available for him to drive—his sister's family-friendly minivan, "Fuck me,"

It doesn't look like he has any other choice really if he does not want to be late on his first day of work. Liam is not about to waste his money on cab service just because he does not feel like driving his sister's minivan. As long as the vehicle does its job of getting him to his workplace in time, it should be fine.

֍֍֍

On his way to work, Liam gets stuck in a traffic — just a light one, but it still has him on edge. His eyes keep flitting between the clock and the GPS on his phone which is set to his new workplace — the calculated ETA shows that he should be reaching there in about twelve minutes.

Checking the clock on the dash once again, he notes that he has to be at his new job by twenty minutes. There's a good chance that he might not be late, but still, he is nervous.

It has been a while since he went in for a new job. Liam had been working at the same company for the past six years, and he was actually doing pretty well, on his way to procuring an important position in the firm. But of course, his ex-fiancé happened to be working in the same firm, and he was Liam's senior. That was how they met in the first place.

Liam had thought it to be one of the best things to have ever happened to him. He couldn't have been any more wrong. It didn't feel right working with him after they broke up and so Liam left. It was easier anyways; Liam didn't feel like driving an hour just to get to work where he would see his dickhead of an ex-fiancé every day.

He isn't sure how the whole thing would have worked now anyway with a restraining order and all.

Fortunately, his phone rings right then, before his mood can turn any sourer thinking about the man that he should have left way behind him.

An instant smile makes its way on his lips when he sees a very familiar name, flashing on his phone screen, "Katie, hey,"

Katie, or Kaitlyn, is one of Liam's closest friends, and the one who he is supposed to thank for his current new job. She runs an HR firm that specializes in placing temps. Since it had been a sudden decision for him to switch jobs, she came to his immediate aid.

Since Liam have been looking after his sister and her kids as well, he decided that he would take up a temporary offer while looking for something permanent and worthwhile.

"Hey, Liam," her chirpy voice fills the car, "Just checking in with ya. How you feeling?"

"I'm on my way to the office right now actually," Liam tells her, "And... I don't know. I think I'm a bit nervous," he admits, grimacing, pressing his foot on the accelerator and then back on the brake when the cars in front of him stop moving once again.

"There's noth–,"

Liam feels a sudden jerk, his head snapping forward and then back, "What the–,"

"You okay, there?" Katie asks from the other end of line.

Looking at the rear mirror, Liam sees that someone has hit the back of his sister's minivan.