03 | Farewell

I could hear the faint ticking of the clock from afar. I felt like I was drowning, even if I wasn't. Just before succumbing to the darkness around me, I quickly opened my eyes.

Minutes before the sun rises, my nightmares started haunting me.

"Chaos exists everywhere... it lurks within the shadows..."

"Will you tame it or let it control you?"

Napabangon agad ako sa higaan at tinignan ang orasan na nasa tabi ng kama ko. There's one hour before we leave.

One hour. I have one hour to prepare myself for the new world I would be entering. This is it. 

Minsan kailangan ko pang ipaalala sa sarili ko na hindi ako nabibilang dito. May sarili akong mundong kailangan uwian.

The continuous ticking of the clock continued to echo in my mind. It was like an endless record player which wouldn't stop.

Sa inis ko ay bumaba ako bago maglakad papunta sa hardin at umupo sa isang upuan don. The sun was not up yet but the sky had swirls of beautiful colors. Orange, yellow and red.

I saw a peculiar butterfly flying in the horizon. It looked so free, so serene. Maganda ang kulay nito. Purple and black.

I sighed, releasing the stress I was under. The sunrise will mark the start of my new beginning and though I'm hesitant, I need to face the reality of being a half-blood, because at the end of the day... I will not be able to escape it. 

"What are you thinking about, child?"

Napatingin ako sa likod ko at nakita ko ang isang babaeng nakatirintas ang buhok. With every step she took, I could see the ground shake gently but despite this, I did not feel like I was in danger.

"Mira."

"You're already up," sambit niya nang makita niya ako. She was still in her night gown like me, but she looked beautiful regardless. "What are you thinking about?"

Silence engulfed us. Ang tanging narinig ko ay ang pag-upo niya sa tabi ko. I could feel her gaze and I knew she wouldn't stop questioning me until I speak.

"I'm scared, Mira," pag-amin ko. I did not like confiding my feelings to someone, but in this moment, I feel like this is the best option I have.

"Hm? Scared of what?"

"I'm going to enter the world I have always feared of. I have to go to the academy by myself... without you. I don't know what to do when you're not with me," bulong ko sa maliit na boses, nahihiya.

I heard her chuckle, something she doesn't do quite often. "Gods, I forget you're still a kid," natatawang sagot niya. Palihim akong napasimangot dahil sa tinawag niya sa'kin.

Seriously? Kid? Mukha ba akong bata? I can kill a person in seconds. Well, not that I would do that.

Malakas ang simoy ng hangin. Sa bawat hampas nito sa balat ko ay gumiginhawa ang pakiramdam ko. To think the wind would give me comfort.

Mira broke our silence. "Deia... do you know why demigods like you are born?"

Tahimik akong umiling bago nakinig sa kanya. "Within you is crimson blood, a symbol of your divinity. Demigods, even mortals are born for a reason, a purpose..."

Napatingin ako sa kanya at nakitang nakatingin din siya sa'kin. Nandoon lang ako, naghihintay sa susunod niyang sasabihin. "A purpose you are bound to fulfill."