Chapter 22 - A Beginning and an End

Darrell and Robert were on their way to the car boot sale in Darrell's car, sitting in their usual silence while the radio played quietly in the background. Robert kept his face turned to the window, looking at the countryside pass by without really seeing it. He hoped he'd feel better when they got there, because at the moment he felt absolutely desolate.

The long drive he was taking with Darrell, the place they were headed, and the disastrous call with Georgie were all coming together in his head, forming a terrible mass of memories that were pressing on him like a heavy black cloud. He struggled to push it all away, trying desperately not to think about any of it during the two hour long drive.

When they arrived at Bath Racecourse, they parked in a large field, then got out and started walking to where people were selling used items out of their cars. Darrell's mate from work hadn't been joking when he said this car boot sale was one of the biggest in the area. Even though they'd made good time and arrived early, the large field was already crowded with people looking for unique items and good bargains, and Robert was impressed by how many sellers there were.

They'd been wandering past people's cars idly for several minutes when Robert spied something and suddenly turned. The seller was still setting up and the item had just been set down. He moved quickly and got his hands on it just as two other blokes lunged forward. He picked it up, smiling at their scowling faces.

As he held it up, Darrell came up next to him and let out a low whistle. It was a black leather motorcycle jacket. It looked old but it was in fantastic shape. The leather was worn and soft, feeling like butter in Robert's hands. It was a simple style, almost plain, with a small collar that snapped down, heavy zippers and a belt around the bottom. Robert thought it looked exactly like the one Marlon Brando wore in the film, The Wild One. He took off the jacket he was wearing and handed it Darrell so he could slip it on.

"It's brilliant," Darrell said in a low voice. It was brilliant, Robert thought. It felt even better on him than it looked, fitting him perfectly. Even though the jacket was as cool as the early morning air, it seemed to take in his body heat and radiate it back, instantly warming him up.

"I see you lads have found the best thing in the whole sale," the elderly seller said in a jovial voice just as Robert was taking it off. "That was worn by a real Hell's Angel, that was. In California," he said, drawing out the name, as if that would clinch the deal.

"I dunno," Robert said vaguely, but he held onto the jacket with a firm grip.

"I heard he was wearing it at Altamont. Y'know? When they stabbed that bloke at the Stones' concert?"

Robert laughed at him. He was mad if he thought Robert was going to buy a story like that. He doubted the jacket had been worn by a Hell's Angel at all, let alone outside Britain, but it was a fantastic jacket. He really wanted it.

"I'm not sure. How much?" he said slowly.

"One hundred twenty-five," the seller said quickly, sensing a sale.

"You're barking!" Robert replied with a laugh. "How bout fifty."

"Ah, lad, y'know I can't sell it for that. It's unique, that is. I'll bet you won't find another like it!" Robert made a face, trying to look like he didn't believe him, but the bloke was probably right. He didn't think he'd ever seen one for sale.

"I'll tell you what, lad. Since you're my first customer of the day, I'll make you a deal. One hundred."

Robert sensed he was going to be able to negotiate a good price but he had a problem. He had plenty of money in his wallet since he'd just been paid but if bought the jacket, he wasn't going to have enough money to pay his dad rent. Was he going to get the jacket and risk making his dad angry or walk away from it? He looked the jacket over again weighing his options.