Chapter Thirty

Chapter dedicated to PaleAire. Your support means the world to me❤︎

Nosa didn't like that the car was eerily quite but he didn't want to hear anything either.

He hated that his mother and sister were staring at him through the rearview mirror and doing a bad job at being discreet about it.

No one had asked him about Irekan or about the blood stains on his shirt, neither did they ask him why he smelt like a pub. He didn't ask why his mother smelt like piss or why Egho looked like she had just died three times.

He froze.

Maybe now wasn't the right time to joke about death.

The drive to UBTH was a silent one.

Nosa's throat was dry, his head hurt and he was exhausted but he couldn't sleep. He had to find out if Irekan was okay, he had to make sure he was okay.

Nosa shut his eyes and tried to bring the events of the night to the forefront of his mind. God, where had everything gone wrong? They'd had a good time at the concert and the party that came after was fun. He'd been pleased to meet the band and Jamee and her friends. So, where had everything gone wrong?

He had to talk to Irekan. When he'd left, Irekan was okay. He was conscious at least, he could still be. He was probably waiting for Nosa to check up on him.

Nosa pulled his phone out of his pocket, the screen was broken and the battery low but it would be enough for a phone call. He typed in his password and went to the 'Contacts' app.

He hadn't even begun scrolling down when realization hit him like a brick to the head.

"I don't have his number," he whispered.

Tears sprung to Nosa's eyes, and he dashed them away with his free hand.

Over two months around the most amazing person he'd ever met and he never even got his number.

▪️▪️▪️

Nosa was supposed to forget about Irekan.

On the day they met, he was convinced that the universe did not put them together. They weren't destined to meet so parting wasn't supposed to hurt him. He was supposed to forget about Irekanmi and Irekanmi was supposed to forget about him.

They never did forget and they never did stay out of each other's lives.

And because of that, this was going to suck.

Nosa glanced at Irekan who was sitting in the driver's seat, focused solely on the road ahead of them. Soft music was playing from the car radio but neither of them were paying attention to it. Nosa didn't even know how to begin.

He didn't love a lot of people, he barely even knew a lot of people and, for some strange reason, it was much harder for him love than to hate. He didn't trust a lot of things to keep his heart and mind safe. He lived by an old mobile game, sad novels and long naps. He'd stake his heart to those things any day and he knew they would never hurt him.

Irekan had the ability to hurt him and he still went ahead and staked his heart to a boy that couldn't even be with him.

Nosa was a fool.

And he was ready to be reminded of that.

"Tonight was one of the best nights of my life!" Irekan enthused, breaking the silence in the car. "Having you there made it feel so much better. I've never enjoyed going to a concert this much with anyone else before."