Chapter Twenty-Eight

Not again. Not again. Not again.

MJ thought as Mathew sped the van towards the University of Benin Teaching Hospital. 

Not again. Not again. Not again, goddammit!

He had just met Irekan, they had spoken for a few minutes and exchanged numbers. He was a cool dude and so was Nosa. He couldn't lose another friend just when he was still barely recovering from the grief that came from losing one. Heck, he couldn't lose another friend when he'd just made said friend! 

God, please, not again.

MJ glanced at Jamee, she was as pale as a sheet. She hadn't spoken since she picked up the phone call that brought them this bad news. The last time they’d sped like hell to a hospital, their friend had just been shot. Was she thinking the same thing he was? Did she feel as cursed as he did? Did she think she was jinxed like he thought he was?

"Fuck," he whispered under his breath.

The air in the van was tense, everyone was death quiet— he froze. Maybe he shouldn’t have used that term under such conditions.

MJ turned his head and looked out the window, the sight of his distressed friends only made him feel worse. He watched the streetlights pass by, their glow illuminated his skin at intervals.

MJ didn't notice when the tears began to fall from his eyes and onto hands.

"Fuck!" He said again, louder this time.

Not again. Not again. Not again.

▪️▪️▪️

On their way to the venue of the concert, Irekan played Jorəʊmi songs out on the car radio, songs they would probably hear live that night.

Nosa watched as Irekan drummed his hands on the steering wheel and, occasionally, head banged. He wanted to mention that, no matter how hard the song went he should probably keep his head in one place because no one could possibly see the road moving their head like that. But he looked happy and he was obviously enjoying himself so he kept his mouth shut.

Usually, he would make his staring less obvious but he was buzzed from alcohol and a bad kiss so he kept staring, a small smile grazing his lips as he did.

Irekan glanced at him and smiled. "What?"

Nosa's smile widened involuntarily. "You just look like you're having fun."

"I am," As if to prove his point, he went on to do another drum solo on the steering wheel. "This concert is going to be mad."

"Haven't you been to thousands of Joromi concerts before?" Nosa shrugged. "Should it still be such a big deal?"

"Each one is just better than the last," Came Irekan's reply. "So, yeah, it's kind of a big deal."

Nosa said nothing and remained staring at Irekan. There was a loose strand of thread on Irekan's hair, probably from his shirt and Nosa reached over to remove it. He really just meant to clear it off Irekan's hair, but when his fingers met the fine baby hairs and brushed the soft skin of his neck, all thoughts of helping pushed themselves out of the closed window. 

Nosa traced his fingers further down the side of Irekan's neck, moving up again to brush the birthmark under his ear. A visible shiver ran through Irekan's body. Nosa grinned, Irekan spent a lot of time forming hard guy but guess he wasn't so immune after all.

Nosa traced the shell of his ear and Irekan nearly swerved into the left lane.

"Jesus, Nosa. Stop it before we have an accident."