15. Fourth of July

Maxwell’s POV

Maxwell’s POV

“COME ON, BRYCE!” I giggled.

“Wait up! UGH! This mountain is too steep!!” He complained. I just laughed at him as his huge body struggled to climb up the mountain.

“Hurry! This is where you get the best view!” I said. I heard the sound of popping. It’s starting. 

Bryce finally reached the top and panted. He stood next to me and finally looked out past the mountains. 

“Woah!” Is all he said. He breathed in relief, smelling the summer breeze. 

I looked over the cliff and saw the dark town with colorful fireworks popping in the distance.

“Happy Fourth of July!” Bryce said and leaned into me. 

“I guess. Not a great time to be American.” I said. Bryce agreed.

“I’m sorry about leaving you after we kissed.” Bryce said. We sat on the floor, him playing with my hair.

“Not this again!” I groaned. “It’s fine.” I said.

“You know what would make me feel better?” He asked.

“What?” I asked. I turned and saw a glint of mischievousness in his eyes.

“If I could get a kiss. Just to make up for it.” He said.

“Are you sure? I don’t want to force you into anything.”

“I’m sure.” He said. 

“Fine. Come get your kiss.” I said. He leaned in and I leaned in too. 

Our lips touched, and this time I knew Bryce wasn’t going to leave me. He likes me. I like him. 

“Hmm. You taste great.” He said.

“Thanks. I had apple pie earlier.” 

“I guess apple pie is my favorite flavor now.” He hugged my side. We turned to look at the fireworks which lit up the night sky in Nebraska.

“Your family’s popping fireworks?” I asked him.

“Yeah. My little sister Cindy insisted we get some. Yours?” He asked.

“Nah. My mom is looking after our cat Luna. She’s pregnant.”

“You have a cat?” He asked,

“Yeah. She’s a stray but we like to call her our cat. Occasionally comes to our house and lets us pet her.” I said.

“And your dad?” He asked.

“Left my mom a few years ago. He had another family in Wisconsin.” I said. “And your mom?” I asked him.

“She died when she gave birth to my sister.”

“Oh. I’m sorry.”

“It’s cool. I miss her but at least all the memories I have of her are good ones.” He said. I held his hand tightly.

“We both lack a parental figure.” I said.

“And we turned out great!” 

“We certainly did.” I grabbed his bicep. He flexed it to show off his muscles.

“I have another expedition soon.” I said.

“I expected nothing less.” It’s nice that these expeditions are becoming a part of our lives. And I wonder if I’ve already convinced him to like this town. Or is he only doing them because he wants to spend more time with me?

“I guess you can consider it our first date…” I cringed if he was okay with that.

“Then I hope it’s a great place.” He kissed my forehead like I was a child.

“Trust me, it is.” I said. Everything was becoming planned in my head. It’s going to become perfect.

 It’s going to become perfect

------

ahhh. fourth of july. and what better way to start the day than waking up to news of a mass shooting at a 4th of july parade...

alright. i'll be back with more in the future!

bye! i love you all!

<3