11. Gazebo

Maxwell’s POV

Maxwell’s POV

“Yep! You’re trying to kill me!” Bryce said. We pulled up to the empty and vacant parking lot of the abandoned amusement park. Located right off the highway, this park was in full operation in the 70’s until it got shut down.

It’s been here since. Many kids like to sneak here and drink and smoke weed. Pretty nice!

“I wouldn’t kill you.” I said. We hopped off our bikes and left them on the ground.

“Cause I’m that important to you?” 

“No, cause all my friends are gone and I would have no one to help me dispose the body.”

We entered the old and withered signs. Greetings welcoming us to this place gave off a dark feeling. 

“Yo, this place kinda scary not gonna lie. Why are we here? Are we ghost hunting?” He asked. He shivered at the cold. It’s weird cause the rest of town is hot, but here, it’s cold.

“No,” I chuckled. “There’s something better. I swear it’s better than ghost hunting.” I said. We walked past the rides. I felt like someone was watching me. But it’s just my paranoia. In my backpack, I held snacks (no mustard) and a battery pack.

The battery pack will make sense later.

“If I scream, will something bad happen?” Bryce said. I could tell he was getting bored.

“Yeah. You’ll get kicked by me.” I said.

“AAAAAHHHHHHHHH- OW!” Bryce screamed loud but stopped when I kicked his shins.

“What’d I say? Huh?” I launched my foot forward and acted like I was going to kick him again.

“Okay okay okay. I’m sorry. I won’t do it again. Gee. Ow.” He rubbed his leg.

“Sorry.” I said. I did feel like I took it too far. 

“No worries, mate. It didn’t even hurt.”

I ignored him and led him farther into the park. We passed many attractions. Then we entered a wood area but still in the park. I led him through while branches hit our faces.

“Here we are.” I said.

“What is it?” He asked. He inspected the whole area. It wilted with age but still managed to keep its beauty. The vines and wild flowers only made this more ethereal. 

“It’s a gazebo. It’s been here for decades. Check this out!” I pulled out the battery pack and went to a loose wire. I connected it to the battery and flipped the switch. 

“WOAH!” Bryce said. His shocked face lit up, as did a gazebo. Small bulbs of light flashed on the ceiling of the gazebo. 

“Come on!” I said. I walked underneath the gazebo. Bryce followed close behind. We stood. No matter how many times I come here, this place continues to make me feel something.

“So what’s the story of this place?” He asked.

“My friends and I came to ghost hunt. We were pretending to do a vlog for a YouTube channel. I strayed away from the group and found this. Then I found that the lights still work. This place is kinda a spot no one else knows about.”

“I feel honored you showed me this place.” Bryce rubbed my shoulder.

I looked into Bryce’s eyes. The glow from the setting sun gilded his already hazel eyes. Now it was like a swirl of gold and honey. He was close to me. Very close. It reminded me of the closet at the arcade. 

“Max…”

“Bryce…”

I looked up at him. He licked his lips. His eyes trailed to my lips. I placed his hands on my waist. Tingles shocked through my body. His fingers grasped me tightly. 

He began to lean in. It was instinct. I leaned in too. Our breaths fanned our lips. 

And we kissed.

It was a moment that I knew will be with me forever. It felt right. It felt amazing. It felt perfect. Like I was meant to kiss Bryce.

We pulled apart. Bryce looked content but realization hit him. His eyes now filled with regret but it looked like he was conflicted.

“I-I can’t do this. I’m sorry.” Bryce said. He unhooked his hand from my waist. And then he ran away. Leaving me alone and wondering what I did wrong.

 Leaving me alone and wondering what I did wrong

------

no my baby!!! send him your prayers y'all he just got left!!

bye! i love you all!

<3