028

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

028. captain's brother

It was hard to explain-- but as soon as Luffy's crew saw Kai, they felt inexplicable wariness towards him. It was as if their guts were shouting danger, warning them to be cautious of the seemingly calm and menacing golden eyes that stared down at them.

It was as if they were at the day of judgment, standing before the man who presumes it.

Luffy could hardly even form his own words as his tongue felt tied like a little knot. His throat had run dry and his eyes could only bulge out of their sockets as he stared at his brother who he hasn't seen since he left with their grandfather to pursue Garp's very dream for him and their family.

He hasn't ever imagined meeting him again this way, this day, and this very time.

Admittedly, he had been hopeful to see Kai as soon as he saw Garp, expecting Kai to pop out behind him and greet him as well. But no, it didn't happen, and he was dejected to leave the island and part ways with Garp without seeing his brother.

Who would have known Kai was preparing a surprise of his own?

Surprisingly enough, the most fearful one of them all was the first to break the silence and the unnerving feeling of having Kai stare at them like they were merely living microorganisms. (Hell, maybe even half-living as he gets the impression they probably won't live long enough to tell the tales of the golden-eyed man.)

"W-W-Who are you?" Usopp managed to quiver out, his voice trembling and his words stammering. His legs were comically wobbling like ramen noodles.

One flick of Kai's eyes towards him was enough for the sharpshooter to hide behind Zoro who was equally just as wary and cautious. The Marine before them gave a dangerous vibe, different from all the Marines they've met so far.

How? Well, Kai clearly did not appear to be the friendliest, and the way he looked at them simply made it clear that he was considering them as lives to take lightly.

Kai didn't attempt to hide his disappoint upon scanning his brother's flimsy crew that could not even look at him directly in the eye, only ever glaring at anywhere but his face. Was this the supposed rising stars in the world of piracy? He was tragically devastated.

"Luffy," Kai began, watching them all perk and tense up at the mere sound of his voice.

They had the impression of his dominance, his authority-- the power he possibly held that towered over their owns.

"How have you been faring?" Even his tone was insincere, it was simply a light small talk for him, he didn't genuinely hold concern for what the rubbery boy had to say.

It took some time for Luffy to finally find his voice as he leaped to stand on his feet with growing enthusiasm and energy. "Kai!" His voice made it awfully clear that he was absolutely happy to see his older brother, one that he has never once heard from directly. "What are you doing here?" He smiled so widely.