Chapter 19 ▴ The Dodeca

"I swear they dragged me into it, Ames, and you know how scary Athena can be

"I swear they dragged me into it, Ames, and you know how scary Athena can be." Zeus said. "Please don't be mad at me."

"Oh, I'm not mad," Amelia said. "I'm angry. See the difference?"

Amelia crossed her arms—partly because of the chill brought by the morning. The sun was rising from the horizon, its warm rays striking the moist pavement under their feet. She and Zeus stood at the gates of the Kingston Manor, a black SUV waiting outside. Poseidon and Ivy had already gone to the airport for their US flight. Nearby, Demetrius briefed with Athena, Raymond and the Faust twins, their voices faint to Amelia's ears. They had not shared a single detail about the mission in front of her, not even which Artifact they were looking for. It was impressive they were able to keep it from her for so long. They were that determined to leave her out of it, which made her furious beyond words.

Zeus sighed. "I know if this won't make you feel any better, but I'm sorry. It's just that Demetrius is right," he said. "Remember that time when we thought of going to Europe to find the Rogues' hideout but you didn't want to come because you got a call telling you that your uncle was kidnapped? Well, now's the time to have an excuse to stay."

"Whatever," Amelia said. "If you want me to stay, then you'll have to force me."

She approached the parked car, slid one of the doors open, and sat inside. Everyone stopped what they were doing and turned to her, their faces questioning.

"Ames, what are you doing?" Zeus asked.

"You know what I'm doing," Amelia huffed. "I'm coming along."

"We're not going anywhere with you in there," Elijah said. "Get out of the car."

"Nope," Amelia said, sticking out her tongue.

Athena rolled her eyes. "This is petty, even for you."

"Oh, yeah? Well, you can't do anything about it." Amelia lifted her chin. "It's either you all stand there waiting for nothing to happen or you bring me with you."

Elijah looked at his sister. "Let's take her out."

The twins walked towards her in sync, but before they had a chance to reach out their arms and grab her, a green force field materialized in front of them, taking them by surprise. Unlike the usual, this one was large enough to fit Amelia but small enough to fit the van while she was inside.

Amelia looked at them smugly. "As I've said, I'm coming along."

"Gotta hand it to her, you guys," Raymond commented. "She definitely wants to come. Why not bring her along?"

Everyone else except Amelia glared at Raymond. "No."

"That doesn't answer my question at all," he said mournfully.

Eloise turned to Demetrius, who had been silent the whole time. "We can take out one of the other cars in the garage and use that instead, Master. She's just wasting our time."