34.

Draco

Draco despised admitting it.

Two weeks.

And the agony had not subsided. It simply made its presence known.

With his breath caught, he knocked on the mahogany door in front of him. He wasn't sure if he should go to her house. It just didn't seem right after everything that had happened.

But she was always there for him, and he had a feeling she wouldn't leave him now.

Lily blinked in surprise as she opened the door.

"Draco." she quietly whispered to herself as she stared at him, stunned and confused.

He swallowed his reluctance. It was now too late.

"Lily." he breathed, a heaviness of sadness crushing his lungs.

"May I come in?" She rolled her lower lip inward, her brow furrowed, as she considered the possibility of him in her home.

She closed her eyes and sighed before opening the door completely and moving to the side, allowing him to pass through.

Everything felt dull as he walked into her house. Her house didn't seem as lively as it used to, as if something had changed. He just didn't know what it was.

"Upstairs?" he asked, his voice trembling.

She shook her head and said. "The living room is fine."

Things had changed now.

The two's relationship had evolved as well.

He sat down on the couch after nodding his head in false understanding. She moved besides him, curling in and resting her head on her knees.

"So." she muttered.

"How did you end up here?" He inhaled sharply, unable to accept what had occurred.

If he spoke up about his situation, he'd no longer be denying what he'd been denying since it happened.

So, with a shake of his head, he changed his mind.

"I need to forget."

—❀—

The first two bottles of scotch were empty, and the third was nearly finished, and the harsh odour of their drinking could be smelled from a mile away.

They drank themselves to oblivion, hoping to find some sort of answer between the bottom of this bottle and, most likely, the next and the one after that. They drank in silence, only mumbling meaningless sentences and dramatically slurring their speech. As the night wore on, they exchanged few words.

They were both broken, but only one of them realised it. The other was only concerned with their own pain, not looking deeply enough to find the pain in the person next to them. Perhaps drinking wasn't the best way to forget. All it did was make one more honest about their invisible injuries and then spill everything they didn't want to admit.

Lily could see the quiet night let a hush of silence blow over the town as the drinking had started around three hours ago. They were both mentally and physically exhausted. They simply needed to feel normal again.

Lily glanced over at Draco, who was wiping a tear from his cheek. With a worried expression on her face, she moved closer to him.

"What's the matter, Draco?" she asked quietly.

He took a shaky breath and looked up at the ceiling, hoping that everything that had happened the previous two weeks had been a dream.