28: The Life

Percy POV

I was running through the labyrinth again. The beast dogs were behind me, chasing me, and growling at me. My heart hammered as I ran through the single alleyway.

There were no turns and no escapes. It was an endless tunnel.

Darkness loomed from all sides as I ran. However, my feet were sinking into the mud with each step, which was greatly slowing my progress.

The dogs were getting closer. I wasn't confident that I could make it to the end of the tunnel. Nope, I definitely wouldn't make it.

Suddenly, something caught on my foot. I groaned as I fell to the ground. My bruised body ached as mud splashed around me. I tried and failed at getting up. The black dog was barking into my face while I held it by the neck, desperately trying to save myself.

My body was tossed to the side like a rag doll.

Another dog shot at me with jarring teeth. I couldn't find it off this time, and its teeth sunk into my arm. I screamed in pain as my vision turned bloody red.

This was it. This was the end. The last thing I saw was the black dog's canines.

I gasped loudly as I sat straight up in my bed.

My forehead was coated in sweat, and I was frantically breathing. My muscles were restrained with tension, and I was paralyzed.

I looked around my bedroom. I had been living here for a few months now, and it quickly became my new home. Living with Thalia and baby Sally was quite nice, but I still couldn't calm my breathing.

"Percy, are you okay?" Annabeth asked as she sat up. Sleep was obvious in her face, and I felt bad about waking her.

"Yeah, I'm fine, Wise Girl," I said quietly.

Annabeth moved closer to me and wrapped her arms around me from behind. I appreciate the warmth flowing into my shirtless back. My hands clutched hers, and I kissed her hand to calm myself down.

Moonlight faintly illuminated the room through the curtains.

"You had another one, didn't you?" she whispered.

"It was just a symptom of PTSD. It was just a dream. I'm sorry that I woke you up, Wise Girl. I feel like I'm doing this way too much," I expressed.

I could feel her breath rolling down my shoulders. I gently pulled her into my lap. She lightly kissed me before rubbing my cheek with her hand. I loved being in her grasp because it made me feel so nice and loved. Light in the darkness, right?

"It's all right, Percy. You've been through so much in those few weeks, but we're out of that horrible place now. We're free," she whispered.

I digested her words before nodding.

My hands rested on her waist. She was in shorty shorts and a tank top since it was nighttime. I was so happy when Annabeth came home this week. She was attending architecture and engineering classes at Columbia University.

However, it was Thanksgiving break, so Annabeth was staying here. Piper and Jason were flying in tomorrow. And, we'd be going to California for Christmas.

My breathing steadied as I accepted Annabeth's support. I had been having nightmares ever since escaping Elysium. Usually, the nightmares ranged from my mother's death to my friends' and my kidnapping.

But, we were free. I always repeated that to myself to feel better.

"I'm fine now, Wise Girl. Let's get some sleep. Unfortunately, I still have work tomorrow," I said in exhaustion.