Friendship is Magic

I paused...

I fought the urge to stop walking because we were already behind the group and I didn't want to use my powers again to get us back to the others.

Instead, my breathing slimmed and my heart rate went up lightly. Maybe it's because of the high elevation, but this hasn't happened to me before, not even on the higher parts of the mountain.

But this was so unexpected, the effects of high elevation were happening to me even on lower elevation and a body prone to psychic powers.

But does Satou really consider us...friends?

I turned to Satou.

"We're...Friends...?"

Satou seemed surprised. He was caught off guard by my question a wore a slightly distraught look. But he shook it off and smiled at me.

"Why of course were friends, Saiki! I can't remember the last time my life has been this exciting before you came around! Plus you kind of saved my life back there on the bridge, so I can't imagine us not being friends!"

I stared at him. I wasn't sure what else to do. My idol just confessed to being my friend. I was frozen.

My whole purpose of coming on this trip to this dangerous ravine and bridge was to save him from getting harmed at all. And me watching him all this time at school, admiring him from a distance, had all been so I could learn about his average ways and become his friend.

And now that I am his friend...his friend...heh, that sounds so nice to say. I feel very satisfied and happy. Like something that was missing in my life has finally been found.

Missing...?

Oh! My heart! Earlier, I felt as if there was something missing in it before like I wasn't complete. But after hearing what Satou said, I believe I just might finally be whole!

"Everything ok Saiki? You're staring off into space." Satou asked while waving a hand to get my attention.

I shook my head to erase the thoughts and come back to reality. I nodded but decided against smiling. I'm still not comfortable smiling when I'm with people. It feels way too exposing for me. I would never smile the way my mom does or the way those people that follow me around at school do.

I just don't get how they could be so happy and relentlessly cheery all the time. Even when there is nothing to be happy about. They smile just when they're seeing their friends, they see them every day. what could be so exciting about that?

I don't think I will ever understand regular people...

Hmm...It didn't sound like Saiki was too excited about being my friend...

huh?

He stared off blankly after I said that like he had no interest at all. Maybe I was a bit too forward with him being my friend.

What...

I guess we aren't friends after all...*sigh*

CRAP!

"Wait, Satou that wasn't what I meant! I didn't mean to show no interest in what you said about us being friends, I was just...I was just way too deep in thought, that's all. I do think we should be frien-"

"S-S-S-Saiki? D-Did you just... H-H-How did you know what I was th-th-thinking?!"

...