Back-Down With Satou

Satou's hug seemed to have changed something inside me. I wasn't sure what it was, but I sure felt a lot different. I felt like I was almost wrong about my previous assumptions of those feelings I felt towards Satou.

     I had assumed they were motherly love based on the amount of care I received from him, but now it feels like those feelings are opposing to what I originally believed.

     So basically, I might have just been wrong the whole time.

     Man! His hug sure is amazing. I mean don't get me wrong, it's completely average and unremarkable. But something about it also makes it feel beyond average. It's special.

     I've never felt a hug this special before. I had hugs before from my mother, and sure they were somewhat nice but. His hug is on a whole new level.

     I want to stay like this for a little while longer. Him hugging me like this, how long has it been now? Time sure is slowing down. My hug back is just as good I'm sure-

     Wait...Oh...

     That's when realized was I wasn't hugging him back. I was so distracted by the passion and affection of the one-sided interaction that I had forgotten to return the embrace back to Satou.

      I slowly reached my arms up behind his back and we're about to place them when...

     Satou pulled away. He was clearly satisfied with the amount of affection he had given. I felt unsatisfied though. I wasn't able to give back.

     Ah man, I believe I just unlocked a new feeling of human emotion. Guilt.

     He looked at me and smiled. And I felt another great feeling from staring at it. My heart smiled. And without realizing it, I had smiled too.

     Satou gave me a small laugh. It was so ordinary, I loved it.

     "Should we go, Saiki? I don't want to get too far behind the others."

     I nodded in response. I was still smiling; I just hadn't realized it yet.

     Satou began walking and I followed. I jumped a step or two so I could be right beside him while walking. Things were silent for the most part but every once in a while, Satou would strike up a small conversation.

     His conversations consisted of completely average, normal topics. There was nothing unique or special about the things we talked about. And surprisingly, the more I talked to this average boy, the more average I felt.

     This brought me back to some of my earliest memories when I first heard of Satou and began admiring him from a distance.

     I had wanted so badly to be his friend. I wanted to be around him for as long as possible. I would have traded all the friends I had just to be able to talk to him.

     I wanted to be normal. I hoped that if I hung around someone as normal as him, I would become normal as well. And I would get to live the rest of my life, completely average. Like I've always wanted to.

     My first attempt at becoming his friend didn't work out. I overlooked the fact that humans can be pretty judgy. Even when it comes to simple things that are slightly out of place.

     That is what happened when I tried to get his attention. He assumed it was weird to stand there and sip this only ok peach juice while reading the weekly jump and listening to his favorite band.

     Although I tried my best to lure him in, he moved on because it was a strange place to do all that stuff.

     Tch I really don't get people sometimes.