Recovery Bridge of the Ridge

What...

     What did he just...

     D-Did Satou just...Th-Think what I think he thought- No, there's no way he did. I must have misheard something.

     There's no denying it...

     What...WAIT!

     I...I really...

     WAIT, SATOU! DON'T THINK-

     I really like...I LIKE...

     NO! I CAN'T HANDLE ANYMORE OF THIS!

     SAI-

     I jerk my body a little to shake Satou out of his thoughts. And maybe, hopefully, get him to come to his senses and realize what he's feeling is wrong.

     I'm not sure if it works or not but at least he didn't finish his thought. Besides, that could be any "Sai" that he thought about. Definitely not me.

     And his definition of the word like could also mean anything! It could even a mean simple admiration for the person who had saved him. That's a completely ordinary thing to feel toward a person that literally saved your life, right?

     Certainly, he doesn't mean like as in like a cruuuuu...Or anything like that...Right?

     And remember, it's only a misattribution of arousal. Satou wouldn't and couldn't possibly feel anything like that for anyone like me, Right?

     I mean, I'm a completely un-average person and he's completely average. It isn't possible for him to feel any sort of way like that. It's only a misattribution of arousal, and nothing more.

     Yare yare, why is this eating me up so much? I really shouldn't be bothered by this nearly as much as I am. Just something about this whole Satou liking an un-average guy thing seems to really be getting to me, and I can't understand why?

     But of course, it's just a simple mistake and it should be resolved soon. Maybe it will take a couple of minutes, but he will eventually clear up this misattribution and go back to being as normal as he was.

     "OMG! SATOU! ARE YOU OK?" Hii comes yelling in our ears.

     The shock of what had happened finally caught up to her. She kneels beside us and starts petting Satou's head.

     I had a sudden urge to make her the next victim of the bridge, and this time I won't save her. But what am I thinking? She's done nothing wrong! She wasn't the reason Satou fell off the bridge.

     And now she's only petting his head, calming him down, making him feel better! I should be appreciating her right now. But I can't. And I don't know why? There must be something wrong with me then!

     "Satou! You ok?"

     "Satou!"

     "Hey Satou, everything alright with you?"

     "Satou, do you need any help?

     "Quick let's get off this bridge!"

     Soon enough the realization hit everyone and they all came to Satou's aid.

     "Come on we need to get off this bridge before something else happens," Yumehara stated.

     "Hey, Satou can you stand-?" I cut Hii off mid-sentence by picking up Satou where his legs and back were supported by my arms.

     Everyone seemed taken aback that I could lift someone with such ease. Even Satou seemed surprised. And based on his expression. Very nervous. His face was all red. He must be afraid I'll drop him. I won't.

     I walked off the bridge first and everyone followed. Quick to get off. They all seems a bit antsy and shaken up. Heh, I wonder why.

     "Should we head back down the mountain?" Kuboyasu asked.

     Everyone nodded in agreement. We all started to walk back down, feeling...different.

     "Uh...H-Hey Saiki?" Satou asked.

     "Yeah?"

     "You know, I-If you want, You could put me down. Wouldn't carrying me down this mountain be too hard for you?"

     Oh right. I forgot I still had him in my arms. He's wrong though. It would be no problem at all. But of course, I can't tell him that. He'll think it's odd and abnormal.

     "Are you sure, Satou? Can you walk alright?" I asked looking down at him.

     There was a light pink tint on his face. He must be embarrassed. I should put him down.

     "Yeah, I'm sure I'll be alright. Thank you." He said getting ready to get up.

     I slowly lowered him down. He planted his feet on the ground and I helped him to a standing position.

     He turned his head to me and gave me the sweetest smile I've ever received from anyone.

     It made by heart plainly miss a few steps like it tripped over its own feet.  

     "And also, Thank you, for saving me, Saiki. I really should have thanked you sooner."

     I didn't expect a thank you so soon from him. I figured he would be too shocked to process anything that had happened yet.

     Although, despite that...

     He got closer to me and grabbed both of my hands.

     He certainly seems pretty sincere about this...

     "I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. I'm not sure how you managed to save me so quickly when I clearly saw you in no position or distance to be able to get to me that fast to stop me from falling in that short amount of time, you must have some crazy reflexes, heh heh. But, either way, I'm still super grateful for you saving me."

     Suddenly, Satou did something I didn't expect. He hugged me...Not just a simple polite hug that I've seen some friends or family members do. This hug was different. It was special.

     It felt like he poured all his emotions and affection into this hug. Like this hug meant everything to him. And all his bad feelings of stress, fear, or anticipation had all vanquished by this very hug. And frankly, it seems all my bad feelings had vanquished too.

      Now all that's left is...

     Me...

     Satou...

     And a feeling beyond just motherly love...

     Yare yare.