The Club

"Saiki!"

     "Hey, buddy!"

     "Saikiiii~!"

     "Yo Saiki!"

     "Hey what's up Saiki!"

     Yare yare. After class is when every nuisance comes to visit me. It's like this in the mornings too, but after class is free period which is a perfect time for all of them to come and bother me.

     "Yo Saiki! Let's go have lunch together K?" That's Hairo. We never have lunch together so it seems he just wants to talk about his after-school activities and sports and stuff. Probably thinking he can drag me into some of them.

     I think not.

    "Saiki! Wanna come eat lunch with me and Aren?" Kaido seems like he wants me to come to lunch with them so he can drag me into the position of the third wheel.

     No thank you.

     "SAIKI-SAAAAAN!!!" No.

      "I NEED A FAVOR!" NO

     Toritsuka, the medium with the least functional brain and the absolute audacity to ask me for a favor.

     "Go away!"

     "Oh come on man! Look I really need your help, you see I'm getting the occult club together and-"

     "I said go away"

     "-And we're gonna go visit this old worn-out bridge in between these two mountains over this large ravine. It's rumored by civilians that the place could potentially be haunted, or even cursed!"

     "So? What does that have to do with me? Can't you go without me?"

     "Well...None of us are even sure  it's actually safe to go on the bridge...So we need your help to not let us die!"

     "I'm good. In fact, I think it's better for everyone if you go ahead and die by yourself on the bridge."

     "But it won't just be me dying! It will be all the members of the occult club! Like Arisu, Yumehara, Chihuahua guy and his transfer friend with the purple hair, he just joined, Satou Hirosh-"

     "WHAT? SATOU IS A PART OF THE CLUB? HOW!"

     "Ah w-well, he sorta like, asked to join! A-and I said y-yes!"

     "I don't believe that! Satou is such an ordinary person, how could he possibly want to join the occult club!"

     "Well, you didn't exactly let me finish...There's another member who had also joined the club."

     "Really, who?"

     "Suzumiya Hii"

     "..."

     "Saiki?"

     Yare yare. So I see. Satou seemed to have joined the occult club because Hii had joined. There would be no other reason for someone that average to want to join a club that un-average.

     "Uh, Saiki?"

     And the reason he wanted to join Hii was because he likes her. And since Hii
Likes him back, she must have been the one to ask him to join.

     "Saiki! So are you joining or not?"

     "Yes, I am, for Satou."

     "Great! I'll send you the meeting point address tonight! We're gonna take a bus all the way there! To Takachiho Gorge!"

     Yare yare. I have no choice. It would be dangerous to be on that bridge, for any of them. But I'm mostly worried about Satou.

     Despite his luck being completely average, and despite him having a completely average chance of having something actually happen to him, there are still odds that can very.

     He might have something very good and lucky happen to him right before something terrible and unlucky happens on the bridge.

     Although the opposite could be true...something very unlucky could happen right before something very lucky happens, hopefully on the bridge.

     But there's simply no way to tell. And I really don't want to risk it.

     That's why I have to go, to ensure his safety and keep him living a completely ordinary and fairly uneventful life. The exact life he needs to live.

     Welp, I better start packing.

     Yare Yare.