S I X T E E N

✨No matter how much I try to ignore you, my heart can't seem to stop calling your name✨

No matter how much I try to ignore you, my heart can't seem to stop calling your name

I picked up some TGIF on the way home. Alfredo chicken pasta for myself and a brisket burger for Jade. Two, actually, with fries and extra cheese. Oh and salsa.

I parked the car and got out. Still wearing his shirt. I liked it. It was soft. And-

I stopped in my tracks as I look at him. He's sitting on the stairs on the front of our building, smoking. A black cat sitting right beside him, enjoying as he stroked its back.

Okay, Lana. Just walk up the stairs and that's it. No need to make conversation, no need to make eye contact. Just walk up the stairs, go to your apartment and enjoy this delicious food. Let's even make garlic bread. Just no eye contact and no conversation. You can do it. If you can pass the finals without studying in college, you can do this. Come on!

I walked up the stairs and as I'm on my third step, he asks "Why are you so stiff?" I look down at me and he staring up at me with a smile playing on his lips as if he's hiding it.

No! Eye contact. Conversation. No!

I lied "I'm not stiff." He raised his beautiful brown brow "You okay?" Laughing pathetically, I answered "Why wouldn't I be?" He stands up and I take a step back. Almost against the white rusted railing behind me. The black cat actually climbs up his dark jeans with paint splashes and a black t-shirt. The cat rests itself on his shoulder and not even for a second does he remove his gaze. I asked "You have a cat?" He lifts his hand and scratches under the cats chin "Not mine actually. I just found her on the side. Sitting on the stairs."

Even female cats find him attractive. Of course.

I gulp, staying silent. He asks "Are you avoiding me, Curvy?" My eyes widen because I am caught but I try to play it pathetically cool "Avoid you? Please! Why would I avoid you?"

"Really? This morning you saw me and then you hid behind your car. And you're not a very good hider."

"I did not hide behind my car. I dropped my keys."

"You dropped your keys, huh?" He says it like I will confess my sins to him with that tone and start crying. Which could happen but I manage to say "Nicklaus, you're my neighbor. It doesn't mean that I have to talk to you every time I see you." He wraps his arms against his chest "I still haven't got the cookies."

"What cookies?"

"The cookies that I've been hearing about. The ones you make for everyone in the building. Apartment 14B says it's worth dying for."

I reasoned "You moved not even two days ago. How am I suppose to know you wanted cookies? I only met you when your music blasted through our roof!" He shakes his head, biting his bottom lip trying to hide his smile "You really haven't changed, Curvy."