Chapter 7: Reyanna

“Alright ladies, listen up,” yelled Coach Zellers as the girls’ track team huddled around her on the track. “Today we’re going to do ladders starting with a 500 meter. The purpose of today’s workout is to work on your stride and focus on form so I want you to give me a good 75% out on the track. You can look on the clipboard to see how today’s workout is going to go,” said Coach Zellers as she posted the workout and then moved out the way. Reyanna, being at the front of the group was able to get a good look at the workout and she was not excited about it at all.

                                                                                                   Monday April 11th Workouts: Ladders

                                                                                                               500 meters 25 second rest
                                                                                                               400 meters 20 second rest
                                                                                                               300 meters 15 second rest
                                                                                                               250 meters 10 second rest

                                                                                                               Water Break/35 second rest

                                                                                                               250 meters 10 second rest
                                                                                                               300 meters 15 second rest
                                                                                                               400 meters 10 second rest
                                                                                                               500 meters 25 second rest
                                                                                                               250 abs of your choice

“You have got to be kidding me,” Reyanna said as her teammate and friend Denise came up next to her looking at the workouts. “Well it could be worse,” Denise said, always being the positive optimistic one. “Please tell me how it could be worse Denise,” Reyanna said looking at her with a tired expression. Just thinking of the workout made her exhausted. “We could not be getting any rests,” Denise said with a smile. “If coach ever did that just go ahead and call 911 and have the ambulance waiting for me at the finish line because I’m not even going to make it,” Reyanna said with a laugh as she pointed to the other end of the track, and Denise joined her in laughter. “I don’t know what you two are laughing at,” said another one of Reyanna’s friends Crystal. She had the same facial expression as Reyanna. “Did you guys not see the workout for today? I’m going to die before I even finish that 500.” Reyanna looked back at Denise and held up a hand forming the number two. “Better make that two ambulances,” she said with a smile, and Denise proceeded to laugh as Crystal looked at them both with confusion.

“Alright let’s just get this workout over with and then when finish we can get fro-yo,” Reyanna said with a smile as she began to stretch. “I don’t understand how someone who is always eating, junk at that, ran a 52:04 last year in the 400m dash,” Denise said. “I know right! Meanwhile I’m over here starving myself just to shave those last two seconds off my time and run a 54," Crystal said with a laugh. “So Rey what’s your secret,” Denise asked as she did her butterfly stretches? “You guys I don’t have a secret,” Reyanna said with a laugh. “I do the same workouts that you guys do and we all train over the summer together so it’s not like I’m doing any extra practicing. Maybe it’s because I have a high metabolism and my body burns food so I don’t get weighed down.” “No I’ll tell you what it is,” Crystal said standing up, stretching her arms, “it’s because Reyanna got an unfair advantage over the rest of us.” “What do you mean,” Reyanna asked looking at Crystal in confusion. “You always talk about how you didn’t start running until you got to the second grade, but we both know that when you were born you didn’t slide out the womb. All the doctor’s had to do was say ready, set, go, and you shot out of their like Allyson Felix in the blocks,” Crystal said with a laugh.