Chapter 5: Michelle

Michelle walked into the athletic trainer's office in the Student Athlete Training Facility (SATF). The building was formerly the old REC before the school decided to build a new one and turn the old one into a training facility specifically for student athletes. It was equipped with everything they needed, including a separate wing for the athletic trainers who now had somewhere to work with the athletes when they got hurt instead of trying to help them in the middle of the playing field (gym, football field, pool, etc.). Since Michelle was on the fast track for Medical School she had to get a certain amount of approved field experience before she could even apply. With her heavy course load she realized she wouldn't have enough time to go somewhere off campus that would be willing to work with her schedule and allow her to get the experience she needed, so she decided to get certified as an athletic trainer, and was able to get a job with the athletics department working 10-12 hours a week, or whenever she was able to come in. Since it was an on campus position the hours were very flexible, and it was a five-minute walk from the boy's apartment so on the days she worked there she could easily walk to their apartment and catch a nap before she went to her study sessions. Not to mention, the pay of $8.50 an hour was a good bonus too.

Michelle put her stuff in her assigned locker and then proceeded to clock in. According to Alice, the shift supervisor, it wasn't a lot going on so if she wanted to leave early she could. Michelle really liked Alice. She was an undergrad student who decided to double major in Biology and Chemistry, so she could easily relate to, and understand her hectic life. She also had a friendly and bubbly personality a lot like Michelle's and the two got a long great and had actually become pretty good friends. "Oh, hey Michelle," said Alice, "Your twin is in room 3." "Alice," said Michelle, "How many times have I told you to stop calling Austin my twin. He's my boyfriend, calling him my twin is just weird." "I meant your real twin smartass," said Alice with a smile. "Michael is in room three complaining of lumbar pain. You want me to pass it off to one of the newbs?" "Oh, my bad," said Michelle with an embarrassed smile, "No that's okay I can take it. And I promise to remain professional and objective." "Girl I know I don't have to worry about that with you," said Alice as she gave Michelle Michael's clipboard. "Just let the front desk know when you're done and if he needs to seek further treatment or doctor's opinion."

Michelle took the clipboard and looked it over. Apparently he had hurt his back during a batting cage incident. "He always was a clumsy," she thought to herself as she made her way to his room. "Wait, stop it Michelle. Professional and objective. Professional and objective." She pulled back the thin curtain that separated the room from the hallway and saw Michael with his back towards her. "What the hell did you do this time Turner," she said as she entered the room. "So much for being professional." "Nice to see you too sis," he said with a smile. It was the first time she had seen him smile in the past month, ever since he and Reyanna had broken up. The way she did her brother was so wrong and it still ate at her. She hadn't spoken to her in weeks, except for the occasional "hello", "goodbye", and "where's the [insert item]", since she, Riley and Reyanna were all roommates. She had tried be understanding. She even tried to be nice and talk with her, but Reyanna kept shutting her out and it just annoyed her more and more until eventually she just couldn't stand to be around her.

"So what happened to you today," she asked as she leaned against the sink counter, "according to your chart your complaining of pain in the lower lumbar region." "My lower what," asked Michael with a confused expression? "Your lower back Michael," said Michelle shaking her head with a smile. "See why couldn't you just say that instead. I swear ya'll doctors just say stuff to confuse people," Michael said with a smile. "I need to take a look at your back. Can you lift your shirt please," asked Michelle putting on a pair of latex gloves? "And I'm not a doctor yet Michael. I still have to pass the MCAT." "Ehh, just a formality for you sis. I know you're going to pass with flying colors. Knowing you, you'll probably get a perfect score." "Well aren't you quite the optimist today," said Michelle as she started pressing on his back. "Well somebody's gotta be with the way you've been stressing lately. Got the whole house...DAMMIT CHELLE!!!" exclaimed Michael as he flinched in pain.