|Twenty Five: I'm Here|

His head pounded, threatening to break out of his skull. Behind him his wings bled, hindering his attempts at flight. And he was afraid putting them away would only injure them more. 

"Sam?" 

His head turned so quickly he risked whiplash, inwardly cursing as he saw Nick stood on the rooftop with him. He had no idea how he even got here. One moment he was in a cell in the dungeons of Five Point Peak, the next he was waking up on the roof of his friend's apartment building. But he didn't have time to worry about the fact his friend was able to see his wings, there was no use trying to hide them now. 

"Where's Cassius?" Sam asked frantically, suddenly remembering exactly where he'd come from. How the Prince was possibly still trapped there, especially if his end of the deal was never fulfilled. "Fuck," He muttered, flapping his wings in a desperate attempt to get to the vampire.  

"What the fuck..." He heard Nick whisper, the sound of his voice grounding him both mentally and physically. The angel had only managed to get a few feet of the ground before he felt immense pain, allowing his feet to make contact with the floor again. "Are those... Are those real?" 

"What the hell are you doing here?" Sam asked exasperatedly, tucking in his wings tightly behind him as he made a beeline for the rooftop door. He ignored Nick's question completely, though he knew his friend was following after him by the sound of his hurried footsteps behind him. "What the hell am I doing here?" He asked himself, yanking the door open forcefully, the slam of the handle on the wall beside it indicating a dent had been made. 

"Sam stop for just a second, yeah?" Nick suggested, fear dripping from his tongue. 

"My phone." Sam patted his pockets, feeling for the object that wasn't there. "Shit." He left it at Theo's. "Can I borrow your phone?" 

"Not until you tell me what the fuck is going on," Nick snapped. 

Sam huffed. "Fine, let me into your apartment and I'll explain," He agreed, glancing around quickly to see if anyone was around to have possibly seen him. He wasn't glamoured, and it was bad enough that Nick had seen him. He didn't want to add another to the list. "Wait, is Nancy home?" 

"No she's-"

"Good," Sam cut him off, causing Nick to roll his eyes and open the door to his shitty apartment. "So why were you on the roof? Did you watch me fall from the sky or something?" 

"You're seriously making jokes when you're covered in blood and look like you've just come from a fancy dress themed funeral?" Nick gave him an incredulous laugh, receiving a lazy shrug in response. 

"I'm being serious," Sam deadpanned. "What did you see?" 

"I didn't see anything. Someone slid a note under the door telling me to go to the roof. I thought it was one of Nancy's romantic date things she likes to surprise me with, but I found you instead," Nick explained, showing his friend the note as proof. It was snatched out his hand immediately, blue eyes scanning over it repeatedly. He didn't recognise the handwriting, but he supposed he wouldn't know many people's handwriting anyway. He wasn't a fucking detective. 

"Did you see who gave you the note?" Sam asked. 

"No," Nick replied warily. "What's going on, Sam?" 

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you," Sam said. 

"Try me," Nick countered. 

"Let me call Theo and I will," the angel argued. 

"No. Explanation. Now. What drugs have you been taking?" Nick demanded answers, reaching out to touch what he thought were fake wings. Sam flinched at the touch, his wings involuntarily fluttering away from the man's fingers.