The tale of an inconsolable girl

"Come up to meet you, tell you I'm sorry.
You don't know how lovely you are.
I had to find you, tell you I need you.

Tell you I set you apart.
Tell me your secrets and ask me your questions.
Oh, let's go back to the start.

Nobody said it was easy.
No one ever said it would be this hard."

Song: The Scientist - Coldplay

++++++

It had been a few weeks since Emma found out she was pregnant

It had been a few weeks since Emma found out she was pregnant. Harry had brightened her world so much more during those weeks with his excitement over the new baby, immediately wanting to begin to preparing for their arrival, showing her pictures of cribs and bassinets, and even picking out a cute little white onesie with teddy bears on it when they were out shopping together one day.

He even went as far as suggesting that the two of them really start to think about what kind of living situation they envisioned once the baby is born - whether she and Madeline would move into his flat with him and Haven, or the two of them getting really serious and buying a house together. He also let her know that she could stay at her parent's house if the thought of either of those scenarios was too overwhelming.

Everything just seemed like it was going so smoothly for once. It was almost like the tides had turned in their grieving processes. Almost like the baby really started the healing process for both her and Harry, like it marked their new beginning, a new chance at love and happiness.

It really seemed, to her, like she was finally in the acceptance phase of her cycle of grief. She loved Patrick with all her heart, she always would. But she knew in order to continue to be happy in her new normal, she needed to accept that nothing would ever be the same; that Patrick was gone and he wouldn't be coming back.

The anniversary of his death was looming over her like a dark rain cloud. She knew once the day came, she might regress with her healing. But she also knew she had someone to help her through it.

The morning of the eve of the anniversary of Patrick's death, Emma woke up early - even before Madeline - and quietly went down to the kitchen to enjoy a peaceful breakfast alone. She rarely had mornings like it. She was usually feeding Madeline right away before even thinking about herself. It was nice to have a cuppa and eat breakfast in the stillness of the morning.

She idly leafed through the post her mother left on the table as she ate her breakfast toast. Most of it was rubbish; credit card applications, flyers for grocery stores, and bills. Too many bills. But there was one envelope that caught her attention. The return address was from a law firm - Patrick's law firm. She felt the panic rise in her chest immediately.

It was originally sent to her and Patrick's London home. She hadn't thought to give them her forwarding address. So much slipped her mind during those first few months after Patrick's death. There was a stamp mark on the front of the envelope that read in big letters: FORWARD. It then had her mother's address underneath it. The original stamp on it was from nearly two months ago. Two months. How did the letter get lost in the shuffle for that long? Now she was getting it on the eve of the anniversary of Patrick's death.