The tale of an apprehensive girl

"I had all and then most of you.
Some and now none of you.
Take me back to the night we met.
I don't know what I'm supposed to do.
Haunted by the ghost of you.
Oh, take me back to the night we met."

Song: The Night We Met - Lord Huron

++++++

"Harry Styles," Emma heard her mother say as she took one last sip of her tea before she poured it down the sink the evening of the next support group

Her eyes widened, wondering why the hell her mother was in the other room speaking his name. Emma hurried out of the kitchen, stopping dead in her tracks when she saw Harry standing in the open doorway with her mother.

"Harry—" Emma choked out.

"Hi, Emma," he said, looking bashful, his fists pushed deep inside the front pockets of his jeans.

"What—what are you doing here?" She stammered, her eyes wide with surprise.

"I figured you might need a ride. I mean, we're going to the same place, right?" He said with a passive shrug of his shoulders.

"Aw, Harry. What a kind gesture," her mother beamed at him, then looked back at Emma with a wide, goofy smile.

"I, uh... I... yeah, I guess. But Piper's on her way already," Emma pointed out.

"Oh," Harry said, his expression dropping slightly.

"Non-sense, Emma. If Piper has a problem, she can take it up with me," her mother said, waving her hand through the air.

"I mean, yeah. Yeah," Emma said with a nod.

"Well... well, get going then," her mother said cheerfully, like her biggest dream in life was getting the two of them back together. A thought Emma couldn't even fathom at that point in her life. She wouldn't even know how to begin to start dating again.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'll grab my purse and just... just say goodbye to Maddie," Emma said, feeling more than awkward that Harry came there for her.

"Harry, you look... you just look fantastic," Emma heard her mother say as she made her way into the living room where Maddie was bouncing in her jumper, chewing on a teething toy.

"Thanks," Harry said and Emma looked up to see him blushing.

"It's so wonderful that you and Emma ran into each other... you know... given the circumstances," her mother went on to say.

"Oh... yeah," Harry said quietly.

"Bye, baby girl. I love you so much," Emma said, kissing Maddie's cheek before she grabbed her purse.

"Okay, Mum. We're going now," Emma said, cutting her off before she said anything else to add to the awkwardness that she and Harry already felt.

"Okay, you two. Have a good night," she said as Emma walked toward the door after Harry, grabbing her coat.