The tale of a hesitant girl

"I felt you long after we were through.
And the plans I make still have you in them,
'Cause you come swimming into view.
And I'm hanging on your words like I always used to do.
The words they use so lightly, I only feel for you.
I only know this because I carry you around,
In the background."

Song: The Background - Third Eye Blind

++++++

"Do not—whatever you do, do not bring up his wife, please

"Do not—whatever you do, do not bring up his wife, please. He's told me on more than one occasion that he's not ready to talk about her," Emma told her mother as they were preparing for their dinner with Harry.

"He hasn't told you what happened?" Her mum asked curiously.

"No. I just know her name," Emma said quietly.

"Oh?" She said, looking at Emma expectantly.

"Hannah – her name is... uh, was Hannah," Emma told her mother.

"What a beautiful name," her mum said.

"She was beautiful," Emma told her and regretted it as soon as it slipped out of her mouth. She felt like she was gossiping and she hated herself for it.

"He showed you pictures?"

"I-I... no. When I was at his flat... he has pictures. Of both his wife and daughter," Emma said sheepishly.

"He has a daughter? Oh, Emma," she cooed, placing her hands over her heart like it was breaking.

"Yes. Haven. She's three," Emma told her as she pulled out plates from the cupboard so she could set the table.

"Oh. Little love," her mother sighed.

"I don't feel right talking about them," Emma said quietly as she pulled the silverware drawer open.

"Okay," her mother told her.

Emma walked into the dining room and began setting the table.

"Have you told him about Patrick?" Her mother asked as she came up behind her carrying four wine glasses in her hands before placing them carefully at each place setting.

"He knows I had a husband who died in a car accident," Emma explained as her chest tightened with anxiety.

A moment later, she felt her mother's hand on her arm from behind her.

"I'm so sorry you two are going through this, poppet. I know how hard it is to lose a spouse," she said and Emma's anger spiked as she twisted out of her mother's grasp.

"Yeah, but you had daddy for twenty-six years before you lost him," she snapped.

"I know, love. I know," her mother said calmly.