Chapter 20: Not mine to keep

A/N: 26.12.2020

Hey loves, I read a couple of comments in the previous chapter and just wanted to clarify that Parker is not gay. There are different types of sexual orientations: bisexual, pansexual, demisexual, etc.

I'll let your imagination run wild with Parker's sexuality. His character doesn't really like being categorized or being put into boxes or labels. He believes sexuality is a spectrum, so just keep in mind that he dates both men and women, so gay, but also not gay :")

Just wanted to put it out there in case anyone misunderstood!

🌻🌻🌻

We entered the theatre room where there many students were preparing for the auditions.

There were three older students and an old lady with horn-rimmed glasses sitting at a long table in front of the stage. They were probably the judges. Without a word, Parker walked to the audience's seat and sat down in the middle, sprawling his legs out and sliding his hands into his jacket pockets.

He looked bored. It hadn't even been a minute since he's been here and he looked like he wanted to die.

Some of the girls sitting in the audience gasped and whispered at his presence, fixing their hair and clothes.

"Hi, Parker," they hummed in perfect harmony. Had they rehearsed?

Parker's dark eyes remained on me, and I felt like I had done something wrong. Had I offended him?

"Yeah, hi," he mumbled, giving them a lazy wave. He was still looking at me.

Despite the fear of rejection, I mustered up the courage and gave him a small wave. He saw, he noticed, but he didn't acknowledge it. Instead, he looked away and chatted with the flock of girls around him. I felt a pang of pain in my chest. I wished he'd look my way. I wished he had waved back.

But perhaps I was being selfish. Parker was busy socializing with his friends and I was only an obstacle. I didn't want to get in his way. Maybe he'd wave back at me when he wasn't busy.

Ryan tapped my shoulder and nodded towards the stage.

"Will you go through my lines with me?" he asked.

I looked at Parker, frowned, then my eyes returned to Ryan.

"Yes, of course," I said. The bush didn't have any lines, so I decided to help Ryan with his.

We went onto the backstage where other students were practicing. I didn't think the auditions would be this intense. Ryan seemed to be popular as well. Girls did double-takes when he walked past them. The brave ones called his name and waved at him, blushing furiously when he smiled at them. Even the boys seemed shy around him.

I wondered if Ryan knew how popular he was. I looked up to see his reaction, but he was smiling at me.

"Aren't you going to tell me I look handsome again?" He teased.

"You look very handsome," I said in a matter-of-fact way, because it was true. He blinked, then laughed.

"Too cute," he murmured to himself. "I didn't know you were friends with Parker."

My heart stopped, and I frowned.

"I don't think we're friends anymore," I murmured.

"Why not?"

"I said something that upset him, so I'm trying to make things up by joining this play."

"Well, if he doesn't realize how lucky he is, then that's his loss," Ryan shrugged. "You're a good person, Conan. I'm sure whatever you said wasn't that bad. He's probably just being petty."