51 | death and deaths

Death sucks

Death sucks.

Castor was sure that nobody would argue with him in that aspect. He clasped Callista's hand tighter as two coffins were lowered in the ground.

A week ago, Franco Castellano lost both of his parents.

"Why is there even death?" she muttered.

He shook his head. "That's life. Sometimes, it sucks. Sometimes, it doesn't."

Castor saw Franco turn away and began thanking their guests. He didn't know most of them but Franco remained civil, shaking hands and squeezing shoulders. He learned etiquette quite well.

He felt pity for his brother. They all knew that his father's death wouldn't be easy to accept. But his mother's death came out of nowhere.

Castor had blamed himself. He had set-up a barricade along with the shooters he posted around the venue. He could have prevented the woman's demise.

But even Franco had accepted that it was inevitable.

"Will he be okay?" she asked.

"Of course," he replied. "He knows we're here for him."

"I feel guilty, Cas." She looked up to him, her blue-gray eyes tearing up. "It's like I destroyed his life. If I didn't—if I didn't push his father—if I kept quiet and handled things carefully..."

"Shh. Don't say that." He pulled her into an embrace. "I would've never known about my brother if you stayed quiet. And you know..." He pulled back and wiped the tears off her cheek. "Despite all this, Franco and I are thankful for all your interference."

"You mean that I was nosy?" she sniffed and took a deep breath.

"Yes," Castor replied. "I can't say everything is alright with my mother and me. But I understand her much better now. Don't just count the bad things, your majesty."

She forced a smile. "I hope he'll feel better soon."

"Yeah. We'll get him into dates, get laid and then he'll be all better."

Caly snorted. "No. Don't ever do that to him."

"Drinking then?

"Stop it."

They waited until the people went home to approach the distraught man. He shot them a dry smile as they yanked the empty chairs and sat in front of him.