17 | judge and judgment

Delilah Gallo wiped at her tears

Delilah Gallo wiped at her tears. She sniffed, walking briskly as she stepped out of the elevator. Witnessing Callista and Franco crushed her hoping heart. They had looked so good together.

"Delilah!" Franco's sleek voice vibrated in the empty hallway.

She huffed indignantly, snubbing his repeated calls.

"Delilah!" Franco seized her elbow, her body spun towards his. "What's your problem?"

"What? Don't you know?" she screamed with a high-pitched voice. She almost cackled at his faux surprise. "Why did it have to be her?"

"I don't understand. You know what we are!" Franco snarled. His sapphire eyes blown wide as agitated words dripped from his swollen lips. "Are you jealous?"

Delilah bit at her quivering lips, ruining her perfect MAC lipstick. She took in Franco's appearance. Blond tousled hair with crimson love bites on his neck. They never even got to that point. Her voice shattered, tears burning at the edge of her eyes. "I know that. I know I can't be jealous but there are hundreds of women out there. Why did it have to be Callista Genovese?"

Delilah's move to New York had been unwelcome. She had followed her father's orders to the point of getting engaged to a man she barely knew. She had been scared out of her mind but Callista's invitation was a beacon of light through the stormy clouds.

At first, she had been wary. Callista was a queen, both in blood and actions. But she lowered her guard after seeing her with Castor Luciano. The two of them oozed with scorching chemistry. She had thought Caly wouldn't be interested in Franco if her silver eyes were stalking Castor's every move.

She was wrong.

Delilah had trusted her but she fell into Callista's trap. She didn't even see it coming.

Franco threaded his fingers through his golden locks. His jaw clenched and unclenched. "What do you want from me?"

"Do you like her?" Delilah asked. Her breath ceased as he waited for his reply. "Answer me!"

"Yes." Franco declared. "I liked her ever since we were in high school."

Delilah wept, hot tears flowing on her cheeks. All the things she did and all the things she wanted to do. It wouldn't make a difference because his heart had been set for another.

She never had a chance.

"Delilah..." Franco whispered, closing the space between them. His glacial blue irises mellowed at the sight of the woman's tears. "I'm sorry."

The Gallo heiress clamped her fingers against her lacy nightgown. Somehow, his apology increased the ache in her heart. Her hand flew to his cheek without warning. She sniffed, soothing the pain on her throat. "Shut up!"

Franco clicked his tongue as his azure eyes fixed on her. "Are you breaking up with me?"

"Yes!" She all but screamed. Her tears continued despite the steel on her words. "Let's stop this."