35 | fear and fearful

Callista felt like the weight of the world was on her shoulders

Callista felt like the weight of the world was on her shoulders. She and Castor had reached an agreement to give each other space for a while. Of course, she readily accepted. She didn't know how difficult it would be.

But she strengthened her resolve.

Everything was her fault for lying and hiding secrets. It was right that she would take the brunt of the consequences.

Callista rolled on her bed, yanking the sheets to her nose as sad songs permeated the air. Her mind kept ticking. A montage of disasters appeared before her eyes and her fingers itched to do something, something nefarious.

She didn't like pain. She hated pain.

But she knew. She fucking knew forgiveness and trust couldn't be forced out of someone.

The sun had finally risen without her getting an ounce of sleep. She walked to her bathroom and washed her face. Callista glared at her reflection. Puffy eyes and red nose greeted her along with a tiny pimple on her chin. Well, fuck. This was the consequence of eating two dozens doughnuts in one week.

God, when did everything go wrong?

Her self-pity was cut short when she heard Amanda's voice. Callista donned a robe and went out. The scene in the foyer turned her gobsmacked.

Amanda pleaded with his father who was tugging a suitcase. She ran down the stairs, heart against her throat.

"What's happening?" Her voice cracked at the end. "Dad?"

Caesar Genovese refused to look at her. He set his luggage to his side. "I'm sorry, Callista."

"You're leaving?" she asked, controlling the tremble in her voice. "You-You're leaving me?"

Her father stepped forward, caressing the side of her cheek. "You'll be okay. I set the wedding deal up so you would have someone to protect you."

"Protect me? Castor and Franco?" Caly yelled in fury. "Protecting me is your job! You're my father!"

"I'm sorry, darling," he muttered and took his bag. He turned his back and Callista clenched her fists. Her aunt Amanda was murmuring words of comfort but she couldn't hear anything.

She ran after her father, seeing him place his luggage on the back of the car.

"Dad!" she cried out. "Please don't do this." Callista grabbed her father's cuffs with both hands. "Please..."

"Caly." He shook his head and clutched her daughter's hands together. "You'll be fine."

"That's it?" Tears welled up in her eyes and dropped one by one. The skin under her eyes was tender and sore after crying for almost a week now. Callista had never felt this pathetic.

"D-dad... I know that you're—you're a busy dad. And that's okay... I understand. I'm not asking for much!" Callista exclaimed, uncaring of how desperate she sounded. "I know that we barely have dinners and that we barely see each other. B-but still... I need you! You're my dad. I will always need you!"