36 | pain and painful

Callista Genovese left the marinated beef in the kitchen as the door opened

Callista Genovese left the marinated beef in the kitchen as the door opened. She wiped her hands and took several breaths before marching to the foyer. She had asked Castor to talk with her. As usual, her best friend was too accomodating. He hadn't complained and agreed right away.

"Cas," she muttered, licking her lips nervously.

She hadn't seen him in weeks but Callista felt like it had been ages. The man had a new tattoo. Feathers covered the skin under his left ear down to his neck. His knuckles were also reddish due to the new tattoos that decorated his skin.

"Well, I'm here." Castor rubbed a hand over his face before he took off his suit jacket. He stomped to the living room, throwing his jacket haphazardly on the couch.

Caly followed him. She watched as he undid the first three buttons of his shirt and rolled his sleeves. The display of defined muscles and inked skin made her gulp. Castor slumped on the couch, throwing his head back without care. "Whiskey, please."

Callista rolled her eyes and obeyed his orders. Based on his actions, Castor had come from a business deal. Stuffy meetings like that tend to aggravate him. She knew. She returned to the living room and set the bottle of Johnnie Walker along with two glasses.

She poured the amber liquid as Castor leaned forward and took his glass. He swallowed it in one go. "What did you want to talk about?"

Callista cleared her throat, swirling the liquid on her glass. "Well..."

Shit. She didn't know where to start. Callista settled her gaze on him, noticing the strands of black hair that escaped from his gelled hairstyle. Her fingers itched to touch him. "You look tired."

Castor frowned at her. "Of course, I am."

She reached out absent-mindedly, fingers carding through his swept-back hair. Castor snorted and helped her. Unruly dark locks now sat atop his head though a strand or two still fell above his brows.

"Better?" He cocked an eyebrow with a voice filled with amusement.

Callista snickered, ignoring the slight twist in her navel. She drank the whiskey and coughed at the sudden burn on her throat. She inhaled deeply. "Franco came by."

"Oh." Castor shrugged and poured himself another drink. "And I care because?"

"He told me something," she muttered, gripping her glass tighter. "That... you are his brother."

Shocked eyes snapped to hers. "What did you say?"

"His mother is Celeste Luciano," she stated, seeing Castor's befuddled expression turn into fury. Callista moved closer to him, clutching at his arm. "Apollo. He's the one you lost in the fire. And—"

"And what? What does he want?" Castor's booming voice echoed in the empty house. He set his glass with a loud thud, cupping a hand over his mouth. He was quiet and contemplating though his forehead furrowed in distress.