Chapter Six pt 3

~~~

He'd thought he heard the elf speak in demon tongue before during the first night he had slept here. It sounded so soft, however, that he brushed it off assuming he had misheard. With all the other events happening, he didn't care to place another thought on it.

But now he heard it crystal clear. There was no denying now that the elf could speak demon tongue. "Where did you learn it?" he asked in a focused tone.

Eial gently pursed his lips to stifle a grin wanting to come out. "If you remove your magic, I will tell you."

The demon's jaw gaped as understanding dawned on him of the elf's scheme. "You little—you did that on purpose?"

"You've been very curious about me. I thought I'd try provoking that curiosity."

"I didn't think you'd be so cunning," the demon spoke annoyed, hiding the spark of amusement baring in his eyes. "What makes you think I care enough?"

"You ask me many questions, I'm sure you have some interest."

The demon was desperate for an excuse. He wasn't interested in the elf. He didn't care about the elf. So what if he asked questions?

"Anyone would be curious of an abnormality like you." Tense frustration hit him like a rock the second he finished. He was supposed to hold his thoughts in and do whatever to please the elf for now. But the tiny being was making him fail his own agenda.

When the demon's view focused back onto the elf, he noticed the small one ducking his head with a wide smile. "I insulted you. Why are you smiling?"

The elf rubbed his boot against the grass in small circles, curling the blades. "I am happy you are curious of my unusualness rather than fearful."

"Ha! Why would a great demon like me be fearful of a tiny runt—" The demon coughed. "I mean, a darling elf like you?" His lips twitched in the discomfort of forcing sweet words in this odd conversation.

The elf chuckled and looked up to the demon. "I'm grateful for your arrogance."

"Arrogance?" The demon sputtered, baffled by how further daring his words were becoming.

"I'm just teasing," the elf stretched the last word and narrowed his eyes with a mischievous glimmer.

The demon gaped his mouth open again, suddenly regretting he had ever taught the elf about teasing in the first place.

Giggles escaped the elf after noticing the demon's silence. "So, are you going to remove this?" he asked, displaying his bound wrists in front of him.

"Augh fine!" snapped the demon, not only with his voice, but also with his fingers. "Now, hold your end of the bargain."

The elf continued his playful grin as he looked up at the demon and shook his now-free hands. But soon his smile slowed as his mind recalled the familiar voice who would gently call his name. Looking down, he started, "Well, there was this demon who... took care of me in the past. That demon had taught me basic demon tongue."

The new fact froze and confused the demon. Somehow the elf had encountered another demon in the past. Furthermore, that demon had taken care of the elf. Was there ever a demon who could give even a finger's worth of care to elves? "Who was this demon?"

"I-I'm not sure."

"You don't have a name?"

"No..."

"And? What happened to this demon?"

A dark shadow cast over the elf and his eyes dimmed. "...also abandoned me."

Feeling awkward tension, the demon could only let out an, "Oh."

Curling within the comfort of himself, the elf's arms crossed over his knees into a tight hug. "Tell me," he whispered. "What is wrong with me?"

And the demon just stood still with only the sound of leaves rustling among the wind, and the unfamiliar tightness crossing his chest.