Chapter 21

Mayas POV

About a week after spending time with James, Rose was finally back from her honeymoon. Connor and Rose went on a romantic trip to Italy. Rose had a glowing skin on her face, she got tanned from the sun. She came by the apartment to see how I was doing.

I just came home from work and I was exhausted after smiling at numerous customers at the café. Rose and I were now having a glass of wine while catching up. I heard all kinds of nice things about Italy and how they enjoyed the weather and their time together as husband and wife. I smiled at her while she told me energetically.

"What have you been up to lately, Maya?"

I told her about my usual days at the café and then at the studio. I didn't really know if I should tell her about James or leave it behind, but after some, while I wanted her to know, so ended up telling her about our dinner.

"You what?! Maya are you serious?". I blushed at her reaction and I couldn't really figure out why.

"It's not what you think Rose. We met as friends". I told what happened at her wedding and about the dare."

She just gave me a skeptical look. "What?" I asked her annoyed.

"You still like him, don't you?" she had her eyes closed to a minimum so I could only see a glimpse of her eyes. She was suspicious of our motive for this.

"That's not the reason. I just think that James should try to explore the world a bit!" I shrugged my shoulders. Rose took a sip of her wine and then said; "Fine, but Maya, be careful, will you? He hurt you one time. Maybe he will hurt you again..."

"Yes, I will be careful. It's nothing like that. Don't worry okay?" I assured her as well as I tried to assure myself.

"I'm going to the studio to paint a little more Rose". I got up from my couch and drank the last wine that was in my glass. Rose followed me outside to her car. "Let's meet up again soon. Let me know if you find a new renter for my old room".

I gave her a hug and we parted our ways. When I got to the studio it was all dark. I turned on the lights and walked over to the radio to turn it on too. I always listened to music when I painted. Somehow it helped me to focus and get more creative. I was wearing an old t-shirt where there already were painting spots on. It was my comfy shirt. I still hadn't heard from Joanne about the exhibition. I guessed that I might not have had any success in my artwork. Nobody was buying them.

I was sad and had some tough days processing the failure. I felt like a failure somehow. I still didn't have the chance to tell my parents that this career path was successful. I really wanted to make them proud and make them sure that this was a good way for me to live. But no sales meant no success for now. I just had to keep going.

As I started to paint, my phone made a noise. I noticed that I got a text message from James. My heartbeat was now faster than before. I read the message.

"Hey, are you free right now?"

I texted him back that I was at my studio.

Bling!

I looked at my phone again to see that he wanted to come over anyway and if that was alright.

I wondered why he seemed urgent to meet up with me. I texted him the address and kept on painting until he came.

As I stood in front of my canvas and observed all the details I was interrupted by a knock on the door. James stood at the door frame nodding at me.