Chapter 13

Mayas POV

"Of course, we are not. We are only here to pick up the car for the wedding couple"

The sentence kept playing in my head as it was on the replay button nonstop. I was back at the grand mansion where the wedding was going to be held. In what way did he exactly mean it? As in, that it would be so terrible to be marrying someone looking like me. I could not really understand James.

He seemed to be such a well-mannered man when everything was dark. And then when the lights came on, he completely shifted character almost like he was a chameleon. With all the effort I had inside of me, I tried to push the thought of James out again from my little head. This was not the right time!

It was almost time for the ceremony at the church. I put my peach-colored dress on and had a low bun as a hairstyle. My make up was not heavy nor too little. It was just right. My lips were colored in a nude color and I put on my pumps. My feet were comfortable in them and the heel was not too thin and tall, yet it gave me a bit of height though, which was good for me.

The dress was elegant, feminine, and just the perfect fit! Rose was this fantastic bride, who gave us green light to find our own dresses as bridesmaids, although her only condition was the color. For my skin color it went perfect. The other girls had to tan themselves to avoid looking too pale.

Oh, the irony...

I knocked on the door to Rose. I couldn't wait to see her as a bride. "Come in" she said. I walked in and saw Rose sitting in front of the mirror putting on her pearl earrings.

She had this amazingly cream white wedding dress that made everyone else look neutral. I was so proud of my friend right at that moment.

"Rose... you look absolutely beautiful!" I cried out to her in awe.

My heart was melting by the sight in front of me. My friend was getting married!

She looked at me with a grin on her face. "Thanks girl. And you look gorgeous in that dress. You really know how to pick the right dress for your body! The guys tonight will follow you like dogs, you know" she winked at me. I rolled my eyes at her comment. I was not in the mood to meet someone tonight. Right now, I just needed to focus on my friend.

"Oh Maya, I can't believe this is finally happening!".

"Me neither" I hugged her and together we walked out to the other bridesmaids.

* * *

As I stood at the entrance of the church, I could see Connor standing at the altar waiting for Rose to come. Before she could come, we as bridesmaids, had to make our appearance along the aisle. James was standing right next to Connor in his grey suit. We didn't really talk on the way back this morning when we had to collect the wedding car.

Eve was the first one to walk down the aisle with some beautiful why lilies in her hands. Then Linda walked. As it was my turn next, I sucked a breath in and started walking. The music in the background was so smooth and romantic. When I was past half the aisle, I caught James staring at me. He didn't flicker nor did he hide the fact that he was staring right at me. I tried to walk a little bit faster now that he made me nervous.

Stupid, rude, racist man who also is undeniably beautiful, smart, gentle, and... Oh stop it, will you?

I mentally scolded myself for thinking all these thoughts. It didn't matter anyway. I was the girl he didn't want.